About the opportunity
We are looking for a bright Payroll Accountant who will be responsible for accounting related to our semi-monthly payrolls. This role will be responsible for the payroll journal entries, reconciliation, analysis and compliance associated with US Payroll. The right individual must be able to work in a high-growth, fast-paced environment while managing multiple projects and strict deadlines. This position will be critical in ensuring our financial statements are accurate for all US payroll accounts. If you have the motivation to oversee a business-critical process and the desire to grow quickly within a growing environment, this is the position for you!
What to expect?
- Responsible for timely and accurate posting of all payroll-related journal entries for month end close and reconciliation of payroll-owned GL accounts in accordance with the organizations' month end close schedule, policies and procedures
- Maintain data accuracy between and reconciliation of all payroll-related systems (including but not limited to payroll processing and wage funding, tax filing, garnishment, accounting and equity systems).
- Point of contact for all payroll accounting related matters for the auditors. Including accurate and timely preparation of explanations for all audit related requests.
- Collaborate with key partners internally, such as People Operations (HR), Legal, Accounting, and Finance on general payroll accounting matters with cross functional impact. This specifically, but is not limited to, cash, various incentive programs, benefits, assignments abroad, and internal tax filings.
- Assist with or be responsible for other duties, ad hoc projects, and report requests, as assigned.
- Prepare fluctuation analysis and comments for financial package on payroll-related accounts
- Research and resolve complicated payroll issues at both the employee and company level
- Balance quarterly payroll data in Workday to payroll tax returns and GL
- Serve as subject matter expert and/or point of escalation for members of the payroll processing team as needed.
- Maintain GL mapping accuracy between various payroll processing systems and NetSuite accounting system.
What you need to be successful?
- BA degree in Accounting or Finance
- CPA preferred but not required
- 3-5 or more years relevant work experience in accounting
- Experience with payroll accounting for public companies larger than 1000 employees
- Experience with and understanding of payroll accounting and how payroll expenses translate to the general ledger, international experience is a plus
- Experience with NetSuite and WorkDay
- Experience with recurring metrics tracking and analysis is a plus
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Strong desire to grow and learn!
- Strong Excel knowledge
- Must be self-motivated, flexible, deadline-oriented and able to complete tasks with minimal supervision.
- Exceptional multitasking abilities, upbeat demeanor, and ability to stay organized in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to adhere to the highest ethical standards and unwavering integrity.
- Strong knowledge of GAAP knowledge, regulations and other related requirements.
- Strong system and data flow knowledge. Ability to learn and adapt to new flows and software technologies.
- Strong analytical, research, problem solving and evaluative thinking skills.
- Acute attention to detail and well-developed organization and time management skills.
- Team-oriented approach – can effectively lead a project or participate as an effective team member as well as work cross-functionally with other organizations
- High level of energy and a desire to thrive in a growing, complex, fast-paced organization; ability to handle multiple projects under pressure.
- Strong work ethic, including the ability to work independently, but most importantly also knows how to have fun while doing it!
What's in it for you?
- Join an ambitious tech company reshaping the way people build digital products
- Full-time employees receive Stock Options for the opportunity to share in the success of our company
- Comprehensive health/dental/vision care package covering 100% of monthly premiums for employees
- We value Work-Life balance and You Time! A generous combination of a flexible time off policy, volunteer time off and paid holidays
- 16 weeks of paid parental leave (after 6 months of employment)
- Use your personal education budget to improve your skills and grow in your career.
- Enjoy a full range of virtual events, including workshops, guest speakers, and fun team activities, supporting learning and networking exchange beyond the usual work duties
- Share and navigate the excitement of a new workplace with your CFF (Contentful First Friend)
- Commuter benefits and monthly bill stipend
- Plus, Contentful socks! And other amazing swag as part of company events. Oh yeah!
Colorado Salary Statement: The salary range displayed is specifically for those potential hires who will work or reside in the state of Colorado if selected for the role. Any offered salary is determined based on internal equity, internal salary ranges, market data/ranges, applicant's skills and prior relevant experience, certain degrees and certifications (e.g. JD/technology), for example.
Colorado Salary Range: $92,000-$98,000
[This position is eligible for equity awards, annual bonuses, short- and long-term incentives, and program-specific awards in accordance with the terms of Contentful’s variable compensation plans.]
Who are we?
Contentful is the leading content platform that powers digital experiences for over 30% of the Fortune 500 companies and thousands of global brands. Our platform unifies content in a single hub, structures it for use in any digital channel and integrates seamlessly with hundreds of tools through open APIs. It lets developers and content creators work in parallel, increasing team efficiency and happiness. Companies such as Shopify, Staples, Atlassian, Electronic Arts, Chanel, Roche, Vodafone use Contentful to build their mobile and web products, voice-controlled apps and more.
We’re growing rapidly and we have secured over $330 million in funding from top-tier partners such as Tiger Global, Sapphire Ventures, Salesforce Ventures, General Catalyst and Benchmark.
More than 750 people from 70 nations contribute their energy and creativity to Contentful, working from hubs in Berlin, Denver and distributed around the world.
Everyone is welcome here!
“Everyone is welcome here” is a celebrated component of our culture. At Contentful, we strive to create an inclusive environment that empowers our employees. We believe that our products and services benefit from our diverse backgrounds and experiences and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, physical [dis]ability, or length of time spent unemployed. We invite you to apply and join us!
If you need reasonable accommodations at any point during the application or interview process, please let your recruiting coordinator know.
Please be aware of scammers who may fraudulently allege to be from Contentful. These types of fraud can be carried out through copycat websites, fake email addresses claiming to be from our company, or social media. We do not ask for your personal information such as bank account numbers, identification numbers, etc through social media or chat-based apps, nor do we request or send money for the purchase of business equipment. If you suspect fraud, please report it to your local authorities, as well as reaching out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any information you may have.
By clicking “Apply for this job,” I acknowledge that I have read the “Contentful’s Candidate Privacy Notice”, and hereby consent to the collection, processing, use, and storage of my personal information as described therein.