About the opportunity
As Director of Developer Experience at Contentful, you’ll have the opportunity to lead both strategy and execution in growing our developer programs to engage, educate and excite our users and the wider developer community about Contentful's content platform and build a community serving thousands of developers around the world in a fast-paced, exciting environment.
What to expect?
- Own the number of new developers who try out and use Contentful
- Lead and develop a team of developer advocates and marketers and work closely with a cross-functional team of digital, content and product marketers
- Identify key trends and “developer parades” that we can adopt and leverage to show innovative use cases for Contentful
- Refine our developer content marketing strategy, and build programs to rapidly scale content contributions from both our community as well as developers from within Contentful
- Expand our developer-facing activities in the field, including events, conferences, workshops, trainings and meetups
- Drive the growth of our community, both online through our Slack community [contentful.com/slack] and Community forum (contentfulcommunity.com), and offline through community events
- Own programs that drive community contributions and grow the Contentful ecosystem
- Build relationships with individuals, companies, and organizations that serve the same communities we do
- Collaborate with Engineering, Partnerships and Product teams to form and influence Contentful's go-to-market strategy and product development
- Consult and advocate on behalf of developers and be the voice of our community within Contentful
What you need to be successful?
The ideal candidate will possess a unique blend of previous developer advocacy experience, technical savvy, marketing acumen, passion and enthusiasm, and strategic thinking, and be immediately credible with developers of all levels, from hobbyists to CTOs.
- 6-10 years of work experience in software development, technical program management, developer relations, developer marketing, or professional service roles for related web technologies
- Experience leading a team distributed among multiple timezones
- Experience collaborating with digital demand and product-led growth marketing and product marketing
- Enthusiastic and creative leader with strong English communication skills and the ability to inspire others
- Strong technical writing skills demonstrated via blog posts and other written work
- Strong and diverse engineering skills - if you were writing code full time, you'd be a great performer. You also have a finger on the pulse of current development technologies across several platforms.
- Public speaking experience or aptitude - a developer advocate needs to deliver presentations that are effective and respectful of an audience's time and attention
- Willingness to travel - to anywhere our developer communities live, and stay productive and professional on the road.
- Experience working in a fast-paced and growing company
- Ability to work irregular hours and some weekends
- Entrepreneurial thinking and the ability to act effectively with only high-level direction
What's in it for you?
- Join an ambitious tech company reshaping the way people build digital product
- Full-time employees receive Stock Options for the opportunity to share in the success of our company
- Comprehensive health/dental/vision care package covering 100% of monthly premiums for employees
- We value Work-Life balance and You Time! A generous combination of a flexible time off policy, volunteer time off and paid holidays
- 16 weeks of paid parental leave (after 6 months of employment)
- Use your personal education budget to improve your skills and grow in your career.
- Enjoy a full range of virtual events, including workshops, guest speakers, and fun team activities, supporting learning and networking exchange beyond the usual work duties
- Share and navigate the excitement of a new workplace with your CFF (Contentful First Friend)
- Commuter benefits and monthly bill stipend
- Plus, Contentful socks! And other amazing swag as part of company events. Oh yeah!
Colorado Salary Statement: The salary range displayed is specifically for those potential hires who will work or reside in the state of Colorado if selected for the role. Any offered salary is determined based on internal equity, internal salary ranges, market data/ranges, applicant's skills and prior relevant experience, certain degrees and certifications (e.g. JD/technology), for example.
Colorado Salary Range: $188,000-$198,000
[This position is eligible for equity awards in accordance with the terms of Contentful’s variable compensation plans.]
To view more career opportunities, visit https://www.contentful.com/careers/
Who are we?
Contentful is the leading content platform that powers digital experiences for over 30% of the Fortune 500 companies and thousands of global brands. Our platform unifies content in a single hub, structures it for use in any digital channel and integrates seamlessly with hundreds of tools through open APIs. It lets developers and content creators work in parallel, increasing team efficiency and happiness. Companies such as Shopify, Staples, Atlasssian, Electronic Arts, Chanel, Roche, Vodafone use Contentful to build their mobile and web products, voice controlled apps and more.
We’re growing rapidly and we have secured over $330 million in funding from top-tier partners such as Tiger Global, Sapphire Ventures, Salesforce Ventures, General Catalyst and Benchmark.
More than 650 people from 70 nations contribute their energy and creativity to Contentful, working from hubs in Berlin, San Francisco, Denver and distributed around the world.
Everyone is welcome here!
“Everyone is welcome here” is a celebrated component of our culture. At Contentful, we strive to create an inclusive environment that empowers our employees. We believe that our products and services benefit from our diverse backgrounds and experiences and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, physical [dis]ability, or length of time spent unemployed. We invite you to apply and join us!
If you need reasonable accommodations at any point during the application or interview process, please let your recruiting coordinator know.
By clicking “Apply for this job,” I acknowledge that I have read the “Contentful’s Candidate Privacy Notice”, and hereby consent to the collection, processing, use, and storage of my personal information as described therein.