Come join Under Armour’s digital division, creating software to power the future of connected fitness. We’re serious about individual growth and athletic achievement, and we’d like you to join us to build real products that will help millions of people improve their lives through better health and fitness. You will learn, grow, and play in an environment that focuses on results and team collaboration, all backed by one of the strongest consumer brands in history.
We’re looking for a Lead Firmware Engineer for embedded device design &development, with hardware and electrical engineering experience. You will be focused on delivering best-in-class custom firmware for custom hardware modules, which communicate via Bluetooth® Low Energy(BLE)with consumer mobile devices. You will work alongside other engineers, QA, and product management professionals to successfully support and deliver the product and engineering roadmaps.
To thrive in this role, you will need to collaborate well with software teams working in an Agile environment, own solutions from idea to implementation, encourage pragmatic decisions and tight feedback loops and take calculated risks based on collaboration with your peers. Quality is a specific and intense focus for this team, collaborating on hardware designs and firmware code that will function without defects at large production scale for Under Armour consumers.
- Develop well-tested, efficient, and maintainable embedded C code along with our Senior Lead Firmware Engineer, collaborating on firmware architecture, feature development, bug fixing, and issue triage.
- Collaborate with our mobile software team on debugging, protocol and storage design & documentation, feature delivery, and functional testing.
- Author and maintain automated tests for embedded C modules, BLE service interfaces, and functional module behavior to effectively surface bugs and prevent regressions in firmware code.
- Support hardware design in 2.4GHz range for wireless communication and sensor applications, including an RF transceiver, custom sensors, and antenna circuitry.
- Work with vendor manufacturer to ensure hardware is mass producible, and initiate discussion on any hardware improvements needed to decrease field failures.
- Debug, and partner on hardware issue triage, RMAs, and hardware measurements (e.g. RF and power consumption).
Required Skills & Experience:
- 5+ years professional experience in writing firmware for mass-produced devices.
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, or equivalent work experience.
- Experience with low-power embedded devices and custom module development.
- Some experience with hands-on hardware prototyping, including soldering, multimeter, oscilloscope, and other tool usage.
- Some high-scale production experience, working with cross-functional teams responsible for mass-producing hardware units.
- Excellent technical documentation, writing, and verbal communication skills.
- Analytical and methodical approach to issue debugging and triage.
Preferred Skills & Experience (or Some of What You'll Learn on the Job):
- Some experience in hardware design roles, with experience in test verification.
- Analog hardware design experience and understanding of RF and antenna design fundamentals.
- Bluetooth protocol experience at the link layer, as well as the software protocol layer.
- Experience connecting modern mobile devices with custom modules via 2.4GHz wireless protocols such as BLE, WiFi, NFC, etc.
- Automated testing experience with embedded C firmware.
- Experience with design and simulation tools such as OrCAD, LabVIEW, Genesys, HFSS, AutoCAD, CADSTAR or Fab3000.
- Hardware automation or robotics experience.
This role will require some international travel, on the order of 2–4 weeks per year.