Confidential is a well-funded digital news startup preparing to launch in Washington, D.C. this fall. Our goal is to create a radically different publication, one that uses a distinct set of formats to deliver a nuanced and comprehensive view of the most important stories of the day. We are hiring journalists excited to get in on the ground floor and help us shape our identity.
We are hiring journalists with strong reporting, writing and analytical skills who will be energized by the challenge of taking a new approach to their beat and continually testing new ways of telling their stories. We want to lay out the who, what, when, etc., and explain the multiple frames through which to understand the bigger picture. We seek reporters with subject-area expertise who see the forces animating their beats, and how their beats might intersect with others. We will also consider applicants with other professional backgrounds who can demonstrate that they have the area-specific expertise and writing skills needed to do the work.
Confidential is hiring a team of reporters to cover important global stories and trends, under the broad headings of Global Security, China and Global Economics. The China Reporter will serve as a key part of the team and the newsroom more broadly.
No other country outside the U.S. will have its own dedicated reporter. Obviously no one journalist can truly “cover China”; this “beat” will mean identifying the most important and interesting angles and issues, ranging from trade to territorial ambition; from climate change to the Belt & Road Initiative; and the many facets of the US-China relationship. The best candidates will bring their own views and ideas as to what merits attention, and then how best to focus our coverage.
The ideal candidates are also voracious readers, up on the latest research and publications. Most important, they recognize the importance of China, they come with experience covering the country, and they are eager to explain its significance across many subjects and storylines.
We’re looking for reporters with varying levels of experience, but these are the core responsibilities and qualifications:
- Pitch and execute daily, weekly and long-term stories for a largely domestic audience
- Participate in formal and informal brainstorms with fellow global team members to come up with cross-beat story ideas
- Collaborate with the Global Editor to approach their beat creatively
- Experiment with story formats and approaches
- Help us build a robust, loyal audience
- Experience covering China for a daily publication or comparable writing experience
- Strong reporting, writing and analytical skills
- Commitment to viewing stories through an equity lens
- Entrepreneurial spirit
- Competitive salary
- Automatic 5% Employer Contribution to 401(k)
- Medical, Vision, and Dental with a fully covered medical plan for families
- Vacation package + 10 sick days + company holidays
- Monthly cellphone, gym, and commuter stipend
- 3 months fully paid family leave
- Life Insurance
- Access to mental health resources