Confidential is a well-funded digital news startup preparing to launch in Washington, D.C. this fall. Our goal is to create a radically different publication, one that uses a distinct set of formats to deliver a nuanced and comprehensive view of the most important stories of the day. We are hiring journalists excited to get in on the ground floor and help us shape our identity.
The Science & Technology Editor will be responsible for defining our approach to covering innovation, disruption and the other big trends and forces shaping our world, including climate change, artificial intelligence and big data. The editor must have a strong background in interpreting academic studies and data; they’ll work closely with visual journalists to create graphics that bring numbers to life. This editor will coach reporters to see stories across beats, to push them to prioritize data and research and to break out of traditional approaches to covering the news.
This is a senior role, one that will require helping us to build a collaborative newsroom. Editors must value collaboration and collegiality. They’ll work together to identify how their departments intersect. The job is ideal for an entrepreneurial editor who is excited by the challenge of building something new. The editor should uphold traditional journalistic values, ensuring pieces meet high reporting and writing standards.
The Science & Technology Editor will be a member of the newsroom editorial leadership team, playing a key role in shaping our identity and setting our editorial standards.
- Articulate a clear, distinct vision for covering science and technology
- Hire a team of reporters of different experience levels
- Work with reporters to develop creative approaches to their beats
- Make assignments that help the reader understand how stories cross subject areas and how to see them through multiple frames
- Take copy to new heights
- Encourage reporters to experiment with format
- Commission freelance work from experts
- Collaborate with top editors to set our organizational standards on data and research
- Experience managing and coaching a team
- Experience translating data and academic sources to a broad audience
- Commitment to a lens of equity in all stories
- Strong writing, editing and analytical skills
- Strong story development skills
- Proven track record of collaborating across beats and across teams
- Expertise in relevant subject areas
- Experience collaborating with an art department and designers
- Demonstrated experience writing or assigning on their subject areas in an unconventional way
- Competitive salary
- Automatic 5% Employer Contribution to 401(k)
- Medical, Vision, and Dental with a fully covered medical plan for families
- Vacation package + 10 sick days + company holidays
- Monthly cellphone, gym, and commuter stipend
- 3 months fully paid family leave
- Life and AD&D Insurance
- Access to mental health resources