An Invitation to Apply for the Position of
Permanent Substitute Teacher
Coney Island Preparatory Public Charter School
Brooklyn, New York
What is the Role?
Coney Island Prep is looking for an amazing Substitute Teacher to join us for the 2021-2022 school year! Located in Coney Island proper, our Middle School was founded in 2009 and operates grades sixth through eighth grade. Teachers teach engaging lessons created from research-based, standards-aligned, curricula. These curricula aim to serve as windows and mirrors for our students to help them understand more about the world and themselves.
What You’ll Be Asked To Do
- Assume a high level of personal responsibility for the safety, well-being, and learning of all students
- Facilitate teachers’ lesson plans with fidelity in the event of a teacher absence
- Communicate effectively with all stakeholders, including scholars, families, and staff
- Commit to a school culture of consistency by implementing school-wide systems, structures, and procedures while reflecting on one’s own implicit biases
- Take on a proactive role in creating a positive, structured, results-oriented, and fun school that supports the needs of students of various abilities and experiences
- Perform duties assigned by the Director of Operations (i.e. meal coverage, hallway monitoring, operational tasks, etc.)
What You’ll Need
- Passion for education and a dedication to Coney Island Prep’s mission
- Steadfast belief that all students can achieve at the highest academic levels and deserve an opportunity to succeed in the college and career of their choice
- Bachelor's degree required; we offer $2,000 towards the completion of a Masters degree and NY State certification within two years of employment
- Cultural competencies to work in low-income communities and a willingness to examine own biases across lines of sameness and difference
- Maintains professionalism through excellent organizational skills, timeliness, regular communication, and meeting deadlines
- Culturally responsive and age-appropriate conflict resolution skills
- Self-reflective and open to regular feedback
- An entrepreneurial spirit, embracing the opportunity for creativity and hard work
- A positive, solution-oriented attitude and drive for excellence
- Eagerness to work collaboratively as part of a team
- A strong track record of building positive relationships across various stakeholder groups demonstrating a value towards diversity and inclusivity
Who Are You?
You’re all in. You enjoy building relationships with students. You believe there is no more urgent task than to educate students from low-income backgrounds, so you are committed to the core. You work hard, and are inspired by the urgency of what we do. You aren’t afraid to ask for help, feedback, and support; you’re equally eager to give all of the above. You’re driven by personal accountability, data, and results, and you’re not above doing whatever’s asked. You make friends at work, smile through hectic days, and add a little levity along the way. Our work is high-energy and fast-paced, and you’re ready to join our team and hit the ground running.
Who Are We?
Coney Island Prep is a college preparatory public charter school in Brooklyn, New York. Merging growth, performance, and commitment, the Coney Island Prep community takes its responsibility to prepare students for the college and career of their choice very seriously, but not ourselves. We balance our sense of ownership and responsibility with humility and levity and support each other every step of the way. Coney Island Prep currently serves over 1,000 scholars across its four schools, including:
- 200 scholars in kindergarten – second grade at the lower elementary school
- 220 scholars in third – fifth grade at the upper elementary school
- 280 scholars in sixth – eighth grades at the middle school
- 340 scholars in ninth-twelfth grade at the high school
Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Coney Island Prep is committed to building a team that collectively reflects the various backgrounds, experiences, and identities of our scholars. We recognize and respond to different points of access, so that everyone maximizes their highest potential. We also recognize that because of institutionalized racism and systemic oppression, historically marginalized groups are at a disadvantage when it comes to most application and hiring processes. We want to ensure that all candidates, regardless of their identity, are able to demonstrate their qualifications and are not limited by a lack of opportunity or access. We are also committed to creating a space where everyone feels like all aspects of their identity are acknowledged, respected, and welcomed. We are intentional about creating an environment where people feel comfortable being their authentic selves at work by constantly examining our organization culture and challenging our traditions.
Our Response and Responsibilities During the Pandemic
Recognizing how this pandemic disproportionally affects communities of color, we have taken steps to meet our mission in a number of ways. In addition to sharing our blueprint in approaching virtual and distanced learning, we have allocated resources for familial support, distributed hundreds of devices to sustain techquity amongst students, and provided over 100,000 meals throughout the South Brooklyn neighborhood to date.
As we have navigated our return to school and broader COVID-19 recovery efforts, it is clearer than ever before that having all staff members fully vaccinated is an exceedingly important aspect of protecting the health and safety of our school community. We know that educators city-wide will continue to lead the movement for safe and healthy school communities, and we are excited to be a part of that! To adhere to New York City’s mandate, all Coney Island Prep staff members will be required to be fully vaccinated. If you are not yet vaccinated and looking to do so, we will be more than happy to provide resources to assist in that process.
Benefits and Compensation
- Employees at Coney Island Prep are provided with a generous salary. Our salaries are highly competitive, set through a lens of equity, and based on an individual’s skills and experiences relevant to the role. The salary for Permanent Substitute Teachers is $50,000.
- As a regular full-time employee of Coney Island Prep, you will be eligible for benefits that include medical, dental, vision, and life insurance as well as a 403(b) retirement benefit package with match and Paid Family Leave.
- Teachers are provided with a MacBook Air and access to all the necessary technology and resources needed to succeed in the classroom
Are you “All In?” This is an Immediate Start position. To apply, head to our Careers Page!
Coney Island Preparatory Public Charter School is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital or familial status, national origin, citizenship or disability. We want Coney Island Prep to be a place where students and staff of all backgrounds, experiences, and identities feel as though they feel valued and can excel.