An Invitation To Apply for the Position of
Director of Facilities at
Coney Island Preparatory Public Charter School
Brooklyn, New York
What is the Role?
Coney Island Prep is looking for an amazing, dedicated Director of Facilities to join us for the 2021-2022 school year! The mission of the school’s Operations Team is to make teaching better and easier by ensuring our schools are warm, welcoming, safe, clean, efficient, and deliberate. The Director of Facilities (DOF) position is integral to the success of this mission, as they will lead systematic maintenance systems and strategic planning around capital improvements at Coney Island Prep’s four locations. The DOF will also be responsible for managing the school’s facilities-related relationships, including with vendors and city inspectors.
The Director of Facilities will design, implement, and manage clear systems, so that Coney Island Prep’s facilities run smoothly on a day-to-day basis. The school’s mission drives every decision that is made, and the school’s operations are designed to support an academic program of uncompromising excellence. The Director of Facilities will collaborate heavily with Directors of Operations and Principals in order to ensure facilities plans meet the vision and needs of the leadership, and will coordinate closely with Operations Teams. The Director of Facilities will manage a Site Coordinator or Facilities Manager at each of our private facilities. The Director of Facilities will be hired by and will report to the Chief Operating Officer.
What You’ll Be Asked To Do
- Provide strategic input for facilities decisions and communicate Coney Island Prep mission and priorities to external and internal parties;
- Sets a vision for facilities excellence that reflects Coney Island Prep’s values and commitment to equity for its scholars and families
- Create, invest, and implement a clear facilities look-book and set of guidelines for schools to adhere to
- Manages and performs all work related to the maintenance of Coney Island Prep’s private facilities, including our school facility, network office, and surrounding spaces;
- Manage performance of on-site facilities staff at Coney Island Prep private facilities, and any additional internal and/or outsourced staff;
- Oversee the completion of any renovations that Coney Island Prep undertakes at its campuses (private and co-located), including permitting, compliance, and planning;
- Designs and implements routine maintenance and inspection schedules, including daily inspection of all major systems in private facilities (HVAC, security, mechanicals, etc.) daily;
- Assigns maintenance tasks to appropriate staff and/or external contractors;
- Oversees and assists in the management, implementation, and renewal of vendor contracts, invoice payments, and record keeping;
- Builds strong relationships with vendors and inspectors;
- Authorship of and adherence to an annual budget;
- Maintains high staff satisfaction when it comes to response time and consistently works to improve building operations;
- Implements effective communication system about repair and maintenance needs;
- Ensures that buildings always have sanitary and cleaning supplies in stock and in place at private facilities (e.g., consumables in bathrooms, cleaning supplies for maintenance staff);
- Ensures that buildings maintain a status of no violations with the DOB (including safety, postings, etc.);
- Maintains familiarity with and ensures compliance with Lease Agreement;
- Serves as the point person for all facility-related issues and emergencies, including inclement weather, alarms, and repairs;
- Identifies opportunities for operational improvements and addresses them; providing recommendations for improvements in systems and processes;
- Support DOOs and OMs in effectively managing facility across all campuses
- Understand school leader’s priorities for their facility
- Coordinate facilities upgrades and preventative maintenance programs in all school buildings on a rotating basis with DOO and Principal input
What You’ll Need
- Passionate and completely dedicated to Coney Island Prep’s mission and a steadfast belief that all students deserve preparation for the college of their choice
- Unwavering belief that all students can achieve at the highest academic levels
- Results-driven, with commitment to operational excellence and ownership of outcomes
- Skillful at building relationships with others, including vendors and school leaders
- Ability to plan and think strategically
- Attentive to detail and solutions oriented
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task, delegate and lead by example
- Maintains professionalism through excellent organizational skills, timeliness, regular communication, and meeting deadlines
- Strong working knowledge and understanding of all building and life-safety systems including technical knowledge of building maintenance, materials, equipment, mechanical systems (electrical, plumbing, HVAC), custodial operations (equipment, products and standards), budgeting and Building and Fire codes
- An entrepreneurial spirit, embracing the opportunity for creativity and hard work
- Self-reflective and open to regular feedback
- Ambition and desire to grow as a leader
- A positive, solutions-oriented attitude and drive for excellence
- Cultural competencies to work in low-income communities and a willingness to examine own biases across lines of sameness and difference
- A strong track record of building positive relationships across various stakeholder groups demonstrating a value towards diversity and inclusivity
- Eagerness to work collaboratively as part of a team on a campus and across schools
- At least 5 years of experience in school operations, building superintendence, property management, or construction
- Must have or be willing to obtain within six months of the date of hire all required NYC Certificates of Fitness
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred; High School diploma required
- Spanish, Cantonese, or Russian proficiency a bonus
- Strong Excel proficiency
Who Are You?
You’re all in. You believe there is no more urgent task than to educate students from low-income backgrounds, so you are committed to the core. Our work is high-energy, fast-paced, tiring and sometimes all-consuming, and you wouldn’t have it any other way. You own your work and when you reach your goals, you reach higher. You work incredibly hard, and are inspired by the urgency of what we do. You aren’t afraid to ask for help, feedback, and support; you’re equally eager to give all of the above. You’re driven by personal accountability, data, and results, and you’re not above doing whatever’s asked. You make friends at work, smile through hectic days, and add a little levity along the way. You have the opportunity to work with students, and there’s always someone who’s got your back from coaching you through a challenging day to helping you grow professionally. And while the environment can be fast paced and ever-changing, you’ll have all of the technology and caffeine you need to get the job done.
Who Are We?
Coney Island Prep is a college preparatory public charter school in Brooklyn, New York. Merging growth, performance, and commitment, the Coney Island Prep community takes its responsibility to prepare students for the college and career of their choice very seriously, but not ourselves. We balance our sense of ownership and responsibility with humility and levity and support each other every step of the way. Coney Island Prep currently serves over 1,000 scholars across its four schools, including:
- 200 scholars in kindergarten – second grade at the lower elementary school
- 220 scholars in third – fifth grade at the upper elementary school
- 280 scholars in sixth – eighth grades at the middle school
- 340 scholars in ninth-twelfth grade at the high school
Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Coney Island Prep is committed to building a team that collectively reflects the various backgrounds, experiences, and identities of our scholars. We recognize and respond to different points of access, so that everyone maximizes their highest potential. We also recognize that because of institutionalized racism and systemic oppression, historically marginalized groups are at a disadvantage when it comes to most application and hiring processes. We want to ensure that all candidates, regardless of their identity, are able to demonstrate their qualifications and are not limited by a lack of opportunity or access. We are also committed to creating a space where everyone feels like all aspects of their identity are acknowledged, respected, and welcomed. We are intentional about creating an environment where people feel comfortable being their authentic selves at work by constantly examining our organization culture and challenging our traditions.
Our Response and Responsibilities During the Pandemic
Recognizing how this pandemic disproportionally affects communities of color, we have taken steps to meet our mission in a number of ways. In addition to sharing our blueprint in approaching virtual and distanced learning, we have allocated resources for familial support, distributed hundreds of devices to sustain techquity amongst students, and provided over 100,000 meals throughout the South Brooklyn neighborhood to date.
As we have navigated our return to school and broader COVID-19 recovery efforts, it is clearer than ever before that having all staff members fully vaccinated is an exceedingly important aspect of protecting the health and safety of our school community. We know that educators city-wide will continue to lead the movement for safe and healthy school communities, and we are excited to be a part of that! To adhere to New York City’s mandate, all Coney Island Prep staff members will be required to be fully vaccinated. If you are not yet vaccinated and looking to do so, we will be more than happy to provide resources to assist in that process.
Benefits and Compensation
- Employees at Coney Island Prep are provided with a generous salary and an annual retention bonus after their first year. Our salaries are highly competitive, set through a lens of equity, and based on an individual’s skills and experiences relevant to the role. The salary range for this role is $90,000 annually.
- As a regular full time employee of Coney Island Prep, you will be eligible for benefits that include medical, dental, vision, and life insurance as well as a 403(b) retirement benefit package with match and Paid Family Leave.
- Teachers are provided with a MacBook Air and access to all the necessary technology, resources, and hugs needed to succeed in the classroom.
Are you “All In?”
Coney Island Preparatory Public Charter School is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital or familial status, national origin, citizenship or disability. We want Coney Island Prep to be a place where students and staff of all backgrounds, experiences, and identities feel as though they feel valued and can excel.