Learn More About Working at
Coney Island Preparatory Public Charter School
Brooklyn, New York
Who Are You?
You’re all in. You believe there is no more urgent task than to educate students from low-income backgrounds, so you are committed to the core. Our work is high-energy, fast-paced, tiring and sometimes all-consuming, and you wouldn’t have it any other way. You own your work and when you reach your goals, you reach higher. You work incredibly hard, and are inspired by the urgency of what we do. You aren’t afraid to ask for help, feedback, and support; you’re equally eager to give all of the above. You’re driven by personal accountability, data, and results, and you’re not above doing whatever’s asked. You make friends at work, smile through hectic days, and add a little levity along the way. You have the opportunity to work with students, and there’s always someone who’s got your back from coaching you through a challenging day to helping you grow professionally. And while the environment can be fast paced and ever-changing, you’ll have all of the technology and caffeine you need to get the job done.
What You'll Need
- Passionate dedication to Coney Island Prep’s mission, with a steadfast belief that all students deserve preparation for the college and career of their choice
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Professional demeanor, relentless work-ethic, and excellent organizational skills
- Self reflective and open to feedback, with the ambition and desire to grow one’s professional practice
- A strong track record of building positive relationships across various stakeholder groups demonstrating a value towards diversity and inclusivity
- Interpersonal skills to foster excellent relationships with families, scholars and staff
- Detail and solutions-oriented mindset
- An entrepreneurial spirit, embracing the opportunity for creativity and hard work inherent in a start-up
- Cultural competencies to work in low-income communities and a willingness to examine own biases across lines of sameness and difference
Who Are We?
Coney Island Prep is a college preparatory public charter school in Brooklyn, New York. Merging growth, performance, and commitment, the Coney Island Prep community takes its responsibility to prepare students for the college and career of their choice very seriously, but not ourselves. We balance our sense of ownership and responsibility with humility and levity and support each other every step of the way. Coney Island Prep currently serves over 1,000 scholars across its four schools, including:
- 200 scholars in kindergarten – second grade at the lower elementary school
- 220 scholars in third – fifth grade at the upper elementary school
- 280 scholars in sixth – eighth grades at the middle school
- 340 scholars in ninth-twelfth grade at the high school
Our Response and Responsibilities During the Pandemic
Recognizing how this pandemic disproportionally affects communities of color, we have taken steps to meet our mission in a number of ways. In addition to sharing our blueprint in approaching virtual and at distance learning, we have allocated resources for familial support, distributed hundreds of devices to sustain techquity amongst students, and provided over 100,000 meals throughout the south Brooklyn neighborhood to date.
As we strive towards a future where we can resume in-person teaching, we have designed and executed on plans to provide testing resources and contingency plans for campuses. Furthermore, our teams are leveraging technology, trauma informed practices, & health & safety protocols to ensure we are meeting our mission of putting students first. Despite the constraints that distance learning provides, educators are still responsible for connecting with students, fostering critical thinking, sustaining high expectations all while operating safely, efficiently, and effectively.
Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Coney Island Prep is committed to building a team that collectively reflects the various backgrounds, experiences, and identities of our scholars. We recognize and respond to different points of access, so that everyone maximizes their highest potential. We also recognize that because of institutionalized racism and systemic oppression, historically marginalized groups are at a disadvantage when it comes to most application and hiring processes. We want to ensure that all candidates, regardless of their identity, are able to demonstrate their qualifications and are not limited by a lack of opportunity or access. We are also committed to creating a space where everyone feels like all aspects of their identity are acknowledged, respected, and welcomed. We are intentional about creating an environment where people feel comfortable being their authentic selves at work by constantly examining our organization culture and challenging our traditions.
Benefits and Compensation
- Employees at Coney Island Prep are provided with a generous salary and an annual retention bonus after their first year. Our salaries are highly competitive, set through a lens of equity, and based on an individual’s skills and experiences relevant to the role.
- As a regular full time employee of Coney Island Prep, you will be eligible for benefits that include medical, dental, vision, and life insurance as well as a 403(b) retirement benefit package with match and Paid Family Leave
- Staff are provided with a MacBook Air and access to all the necessary technology, resources, and hugs needed to succeed.
Are you “All In?” Leave your resume here so we can reach out when a role opens that fits your background and experience!
Coney Island Preparatory Public Charter School is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital or familial status, national origin, citizenship or disability. We want Coney Island Prep to be a place where students and staff of all backgrounds, experiences, and identities feel as though they feel valued and can excel.