An Invitation to Apply for the Position of
Coney Island Preparatory Public Charter School
Brooklyn, New York
What is the Role?
Great teachers and committed staff are the single most important factor in improving educational outcomes for our scholars. Therefore we must recruit and hire the very best of the best—teachers and staff who love what they do, are masters of their content or focus area, engage students and families, and work tirelessly to improve their craft. New York City is a hotbed of educational reform, with over 150 public charter schools serving over 70,000 students. Many of those charter schools, including Coney Island Prep, are amongst the best in the country, making New York an extremely competitive marketplace, with top tier teachers in high demand.
The Recruitment Manager will build a strong pipeline of top talent by casting a wide net, growing a pool of applicants, nurturing prospective candidates, and ensuring that those to whom we make offers accept. This will require sourcing candidates through traditional and non-traditional avenues, cultivating external partnerships, and extensive networking. The Recruitment Manager will be hired by and report to the Director of Recruitment.
What You’ll be Asked to Do
- Develop a network of prospective high-performing, diverse candidates and systems to target and attract those candidates
- Assist in the development of high-quality recruitment materials
- Host and attend various recruitment events, including evenings and weekends at times
- Coordinate a seamless recruitment, application and selection process that results in a timely, professional, and positive experience for every candidate
- Communicate effectively with all stakeholders, including candidates, external partners, school leaders, and the Director of Recruitment
- Reflect on various data sources to improve your practice
- Manage and serve as the liaison for Coney Island Prep’s Apprentice Teacher Program, including internal communications and external partnerships
- Manage online job postings for open positions for which we are actively recruiting
- Represent Coney Island Prep at various careers fairs in and outside of New York City (some travel required)
- Manage inventory and distribution of recruitment materials to new and prospective hires
- Coordinate candidate scheduling and assist on-campus visits and interviews
- Collaborate regularly on ways to improve our recruitment, hiring, and onboarding processes
What You’ll Need
- Passion for education and a dedication to Coney Island Prep’s mission
- Steadfast belief that all students can achieve at the highest academic levels and deserve an opportunity to succeed in the college of their choice
- Bachelor’s degree and at least 2 years of professional experience, with K-12 teaching experience preferred; at least 6 years of professional experience in lieu of a Bachelor's degree
- Prior recruitment experience a plus
- Demonstrated ability to recognize outstanding talent
- Exceptional relationship building and networking abilities
- Professional demeanor and excellent organizational skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Self-reflective and open to frequent feedback, with the ambition and desire to grow and develop
- An entrepreneurial spirit, embracing the opportunity for creativity and hard work inherent in a growing organization
- A positive, solutions-oriented attitude and drive for excellence
- Willingness to travel and work some nights and weekends
- Willingness to be a team player
Who are You?
You’re all in. You believe there is no more urgent task than to educate students from low-income backgrounds, so you are committed to the core. Our work is high-energy, fast-paced, tiring and sometimes all-consuming, and you wouldn’t have it any other way. You own your work and when you reach your goals, you reach higher. You work incredibly hard, and are inspired by the urgency of what we do. You aren’t afraid to ask for help, feedback, and support; you’re equally eager to give all of the above. You’re driven by personal accountability, data, and results, and you’re not above doing whatever’s asked. You make friends at work, smile through hectic days, and add a little levity along the way. You have the opportunity to work with students, and there’s always someone who’s got your back from coaching you through a challenging day to helping you grow professionally. And while the environment can be fast paced and ever-changing, you’ll have all of the technology and caffeine you need to get the job done.
Who are We?
Coney Island Prep is a college preparatory public charter school in Brooklyn, New York. Merging growth, performance, and commitment, the Coney Island Prep community takes its responsibility to prepare students for the college and career of their choice very seriously, but not ourselves. We balance our sense of ownership and responsibility with humility and levity and support each other every step of the way. Coney Island Prep currently serves over 1,000 scholars across its four schools, including:
- 200 scholars in kindergarten – second grade at the lower elementary school
- 220 scholars in third – fifth grade at the upper elementary school
- 280 scholars in sixth – eighth grades at the middle school
- 340 scholars in ninth-twelfth grade at the high school
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Coney Island Prep is committed to building a team that collectively reflects the various backgrounds, experiences, and identities of our scholars. We recognize and respond to different points of access, so that everyone maximizes their highest potential. We also recognize that because of institutionalized racism and systemic oppression, historically marginalized groups are at a disadvantage when it comes to most application and hiring processes. We want to ensure that all candidates, regardless of their identity, are able to demonstrate their qualifications and are not limited by a lack of opportunity or access. We are also committed to creating a space where everyone feels like all aspects of their identity are acknowledged, respected, and welcomed. We are intentional about creating an environment where people feel comfortable being their authentic selves at work by constantly examining our organization culture and challenging our traditions.
Benefits and Compensation
- Employees at Coney Island Prep are provided with a generous salary. Our salaries are highly competitive, set through a lens of equity, and based on an individual’s skills and experiences relevant to the role. The starting salary range for this role is $65,000-$75,000, based on prior experience.
- As a regular full time employee of Coney Island Prep, you will be eligible for benefits that include medical, dental, vision, and life insurance as well as a 403(b) retirement benefit package with match and Paid Family Leave.
- Staff are provided with a MacBook Air and access to all the necessary technology and resources needed to succeed in their role.
Are you “All In?” This is an immediate start role. To apply, head to our Careers Page!
Coney Island Preparatory Public Charter School is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital or familial status, national origin, citizenship or disability. We want Coney Island Prep to be a place where students and staff of all backgrounds, experiences, and identities feel as though they feel valued and can excel.