Complex Networks is a global lifestyle video, brand, and media company jointly owned by Hearst and Verizon, and is one of the most influential voices in popular culture today. Complex generates over 1.2 billion video views a month across its digital channels. It is a top 10 publisher in the U.S. for social engagement on platforms such as YouTube, Facebook, Netflix, and Snapchat.
Complex is seeking a Staff Writer to work with our Style team to create content for Complex.com that aligns with the brand and audience. The Staff Writer will report to our Deputy Editor of Style. An ideal candidate is an idea machine who can think of niche angles and ways to cover a brand, series, or style trend beyond what’s obvious or straightforward. The Staff Writer must understand Complex’s voice, demographic, and focus.
This candidate should have experience editing and writing all types of content, from 200-word news pieces to longer essays to long-form magazine-length profiles and investigative stories. They should also be comfortable overseeing the creation of non-text content, such as infographics and video. As the new cycle never rests, this candidate should be able to work under the pressure of tight deadlines and create sharp, concise stories.
- Conceptualize, pitch, and write timely and original style features
- Identify compelling stories and generate creative, distinctive ideas around them
- Perform journalistic research and write premium features, including trend pieces, profiles, Q&As, essays, narrative features, and oral histories
- Communicate with Deputy Editor of Style to develop stories and strategize coverage around major moments and events
- Use contacts and relationships within the industry to follow stories
- Be able to manage multiple projects at any given time
- Understand SEO opportunities and deliver on increased content visibility
- Write concise, engaging, and informed content that consistently expresses the brand voice and personality
- Write market stories/shopping lists
- Stay on top of a wide range of topics, including celebrity endorsements, streetwear, and brand collaborations
- A comprehensive knowledge of current fashion trends, news, key figures, and the market
- Writing, editing, and copy editing skills
- Deep understanding of the Complex brand and voice
- Bachelor’s degree
About Complex Networks
Complex is a global lifestyle brand and media company and one of the most influential voices in popular culture today. Complex Networks generates over 1.2 billion video views a month across its digital channels and is a Top 10 publisher in the U.S. for social engagement on channels like Facebook and YouTube. Complex Networks develops and distributes video programming on several distribution channels including Netflix, Facebook, Snapchat, and Fuse. The company cultivates content that spans across popular culture - from music to movies, sports to video games, fashion to food. In November 2017, the company successfully hosted its second ComplexCon event in Long Beach, California, attracting 200 top brands and over 50,000 attendees to the two-day cultural festival.
CHECK US OUT: