Complex Networks is a global lifestyle video, brand, and media company jointly owned by Hearst and Verizon, and is one of the most influential voices in popular culture today. Complex generates over 1.2 billion video views a month across its digital channels. It is a top 10 publisher in the U.S. for social engagement on platforms such as YouTube, Facebook, Netflix, and Snapchat.
We are looking to fill a Fellowship position for Spring 2019 to assist our in-house Business and Legal Affairs department. The Fellow is expected to primarily work on-site in our Manhattan office approximately 15 hours a week for 6-months. This position is paid.
- Researching and writing internal memos pertaining to Intellectual Property, Rights Clearance, Advertising/FTC, and Privacy issues that a growing digital media company faces on a daily basis;
- Assist in tracking and maintaining DMCA notices, as well as DMCA claim resolutions;
- Review daily video and text based content to ensure compliance with applicable laws;
- Assist rights and clearances managers with the clearance of third party rights;
- General administrative tasks (e.g. maintaining files, creating and maintaining internal forms);
- Other duties as assigned.
- Located in the NYC area or able to commute to Manhattan;
- 2nd or 3rd year student;
- Studies focused on IP related matters, and has at least taken a Trademark and/or a Copyright class (patent law expertise is not required);
- Driven and self-motivated, able to work independently as well as under supervised direction;
- Highly organized and able to handle competing priorities and deadlines;
- Excellent writing and oral communication skills;
- Strong research skills. Preferred experience researching administrative law and policy (FTC, FCC) and industry self-regulation (DISCUS, NAD, DAA, WOMMA, IAB, social media platform policies, etc.)
- Previous experience at a digital media, distribution, or content company preferred but not required. However, must be comfortable with top social media platforms/apps and video streaming technology, and generally comfortable with experimenting with these types of platforms.
About Complex Networks
Complex is a global lifestyle brand and media company and one of the most influential voices in popular culture today. Complex Networks generates over 1.2 billion video views a month across its digital channels and is a Top 10 publisher in the U.S. for social engagement on channels like Facebook and YouTube. Complex Networks develops and distributes video programming on several distribution channels including Netflix, Facebook, Snapchat, and Fuse. The company cultivates content that spans across popular culture - from music to movies, sports to video games, fashion to food. In November 2017, the company successfully hosted its second ComplexCon event in Long Beach, California, attracting 200 top brands and over 50,000 attendees to the two-day cultural festival.