ComplexCon is an expertly curated convention and festival bringing the world of Complex to life. The groundbreaking festival and exhibition that brings together pop culture, music, art, food, style, sports, innovation, activism, and education. The minds behind Complex collaborate with Creative Directors such as Pharrell Williams and the legendary artist Takashi Murakami to imagine a place where creators, curators and YOU converge to celebrate and shape our culture.
Complex is looking for a passionate, highly motivated Editorial Director to join the ComplexCon team to help conceive and execute cross-platform content and experiential activations. This role offers an exciting opportunity to deliver the Complex experience, in real-life twice a year, to over 100,000 fans. The Editorial Director will oversee content creation, strategy, and planning supporting ComplexCon, and provide creative solutions to road bumps that arise throughout the ideation and execution processes. The ideal candidate is a creator, has a deep passion for storytelling through a cultural lens, and is always looking for what is new in the marketplace and how we can continue to push ourselves to be best in class.
- Plays a vital role within the company, driving content initiatives from ideation through execution in addition to being a liaison to the strategy, planning & production teams.
- Works closely with the Editor-in-Chief to maintain the Complex and ComplexCon taste and tone.
- Works closely with brands to craft unique stories that amplify the brand strategy while maintaining the Complex authenticity.
- Acts as creative liaison between Complex Senior Management and the 3rd-party Production Company from conceptualization to delivery (including creative development, panel discussion topics, set design, talent approval, production execution and episodic delivery).
- Develop, Pitch, and Execute all creative event/panel concepts in line with the vision of the EP, Creative Director and Talent Producer
- Support Senior Management with new business meetings – present and receive creative pitches.
- Ensure creative integrity by clearly articulating and defending conceptual and directional choices.
- Responsible for leading and/or supporting the planning and execution of multiple key events
- Identify relevant new audiences and the best way to bring them to ComplexCon
- Inspire and challenge the internal teams pushing the creative.
- Partners with audience development to analyze promo rollout and performance, and adjust programming accordingly for a successful event launch
- 8-10 years professional experience in digital media, marketing, advertising, agencies, production, creative or the arts – preferably with client management experience
- Incredible attention to detail, both for processes (content calendar and planning) as well as content (copyediting)
- Proven ability with developing and delivering a content strategy - demonstrate successful outcomes from communication activities they have conceptualized, developed and executed
- Experience with ideation & execution of cross media/integrated programs
- Strong network of contacts at the top agencies and talent management in the industry.
- Experience managing needs of celebrity level talent and ability to stay calm while handling difficult situations.
- Excellent time management skills, with the ability to prioritize and multi-task, while working under shifting deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Maintain knowledge of key trends and event content to keep all solutions fresh, innovative and exciting
- Experience working in social media and digital content. Fully proficient in social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, YouTube, Spotify and emerging platforms
- Ability to navigate and prioritize when collaborating with various departments to push work forward
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to interact and work with staff at all levels.
- Willingness to take initiative and to follow through on projects.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Ability to travel and work outside of standard business hours
About Complex Networks
Complex is a global lifestyle brand and media company and one of the most influential voices in popular culture today. Complex Networks generates over 1.2 billion video views a month across its digital channels and is a Top 10 publisher in the U.S. for social engagement on channels like Facebook and YouTube. Complex Networks develops and distributes video programming on several distribution channels including Netflix, Facebook, Snapchat, and Fuse. The company cultivates content that spans across popular culture - from music to movies, sports to video games, fashion to food. In November 2017, the company successfully hosted its second ComplexCon event in Long Beach, California, attracting 200 top brands and over 50,000 attendees to the two-day cultural festival.