Complex Networks is a global lifestyle video, brand, and media company jointly owned by Hearst and Verizon, and is one of the most influential voices in popular culture today. Complex generates over 1.2 billion video views a month across its digital channels. It is a top 10 publisher in the U.S. for social engagement on platforms such as YouTube, Facebook, Netflix, and Snapchat.
We are seeking a talented and organized lawyer to join its Business and Legal Affairs department as Senior Counsel.
The Senior Counsel will report to the Chief Legal Officer and will work directly with business stake-holders across the company, including high-level executives. This position will be the primary legal department contact for compliance matters. The responsibilities for this position may include:
- Acting as compliance legal lead on privacy/data collection and protection, FTC compliance, sweepstakes and contests, human resources, employee benefits, and other compliance matters.
- Counseling and advising on pre-publication review and pre-litigation claims, with focus on: intellectual property issues, right of publicity, defamation/First Amendment issues, and rights and clearances.
- Managing outside counsel, litigation, and trademark portfolio matters.
- Negotiating and drafting technology and software license agreements.
- Developing and maintaining contract templates, corporate policies and processes, and training programs.
- Managing Legal Department intern.
- Other duties as assigned by the Chief Legal Officer.
- JD and/or LLM degree.
- Attorney admitted to practice in New York State.
- At least 5 years of relevant legal experience with a law firm or as part of an in-house legal department.
- Experience of working with online companies strongly preferred.
- Expertise in one or more additional areas also preferred: privacy/data collection compliance, litigation, human resources compliance/internal investigations, FTC compliance, and technology.
- The ideal candidate for this position must be capable of working in a dynamic and fast-paced environment, with tight deadlines, and be able to multi-task and prioritize appropriately.
ABOUT COMPLEX NETWORKS
Complex develops and distributes video programming on several distribution channels including Netflix, Facebook, Snapchat, and Fuse. Complex cultivates content that spans across popular culture - from music to movies, sports to video games, fashion to food. In November 2017, it successfully hosted its second “ComplexCon” event in Long Beach, California, attracting 200 top brands and over 50,000 attendees to the two-day cultural festival.