Complex Networks is a global lifestyle video, brand, and media company jointly owned by Hearst and Verizon, and is one of the most influential voices in popular culture today. Complex generates over 1.2 billion video views a month across its digital channels. It is a top 10 publisher in the U.S. for social engagement on platforms such as YouTube, Facebook, Netflix, and Snapchat.
Complex seeks an experienced and talented lawyer to lead its Business and Legal Affairs department as General Counsel. The General Counsel will serve as a key advisor to Complex’s business and executive leadership teams, and will have overall responsibility for Complex’s legal affairs, including overseeing transactional contract review and negotiation, corporate governance, managing intellectual property filings and prosecution, litigation, and overseeing internal and ongoing compliance training for Complex’s employees.
- Oversee all legal matters for Complex, including the drafting, review, and negotiation of a wide range of commercial contracts relating to video and content creation, acquisition, licensing, and distribution, and advising on issues relevant to digital video platforms such as YouTube, Netflix, and Snapchat.
- Ensure Complex’s compliance with all relevant laws and regulations.
- Manage and lead Complex’s Business and Legal Affairs department, and outside law firms.
- Manage litigation and oversee intellectual property filings and prosecution.
- Interact with and advise, Complex executives and business departments including advertising, content, finance, and other commercial departments.
- Advise and support human resources on matters related to labor, benefits, and other employment issues.
- Monitor regulatory developments in the media, entertainment, video, and online industries.
- Act as company secretary, attend board meetings, and prepare and complete corporate filings.
- Develop, maintain, and implement internal compliance and training programs for Complex employees regarding intellectual property rights, human resources, and other compliance areas.
- JD and/or LLM degree.
- Attorney admitted to practice in New York State.
- At least 12 years of legal experience, preferably with a combination of law firm and in-house legal experience.
- Prior experience as a General Counsel or other experience of managing a legal department.
- Prior experience of working for a television, film, video, or other media company is very desirable but not essential.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Must be collaborative, a flexible thinker, and solution-oriented.
- Must also be capable of working in a dynamic and fast-paced environment, with tight deadlines, and be able to multi-task, manage, and prioritize appropriately
ABOUT COMPLEX NETWORKS
Complex develops and distributes video programming on several distribution channels including Netflix, Facebook, Snapchat, and Fuse. Complex cultivates content that spans across popular culture - from music to movies, sports to video games, fashion to food. In November 2017, it successfully hosted its second “ComplexCon” event in Long Beach, California, attracting 200 top brands and over 50,000 attendees to the two-day cultural festival.