Complex Networks is looking for a Deputy Editor to run its Music department, overseeing all iterations of music content, including text, video, and social.
The ideal candidate should have a comprehensive knowledge of many genres of music, with an expertise in hip-hop. This candidate should have experience editing and writing all types of content, from 300-word news pieces and social-first content to long-form profiles and reported investigative stories. They should also be comfortable overseeing the creation of non-text based content, such as infographics and video.
The ideal candidate should also have managerial experience, with the ability to handle tight deadlines and lead a team with grace under demanding circumstances.
This is a full-time job with a highly competitive salary and benefits, and the opportunity to lead the most high-profile vertical of an industry-leading media company.
- Help guide editorial voice and vision for Complex Music, online, in video, and across our social platforms
- Work closely with junior employees across editorial, social, and branded content to ensure their content is on brand with Complex Music’s voice
- Manage a team of in-house and freelance writers
- Manage a monthly freelance budget and track traffic metrics
- Communicate with other departments to develop stories, strategize coverage, and spearhead new ways to attract loyal readers
- Always-on approach to work, as well as the ability to lead and inspire a team to keep pace with the internet
- Insatiable thirst for new music and new knowledge about music, as well as an encyclopedic knowledge of contemporary (1980-present) music—Meek Mill to Masta Ace Incorporated to Mac Miller to Max Martin to Mars Volta to Mantronix to Matt & Kim to Motorhead and everything in between
- A natural sense of competition and desire to create the best Music platform on the internet today
- Borderline OCD commitment to accuracy and rigor; fact checking or copy editing background a plus
- A network of A-level professional writers, and potential celebrity contributors a plus.
- Interest in non-text based storytelling
- A working understanding and aspiration to tell stories through video, infographic, photo, and emerging tech (VR, interactive gaming, etc.)
- 2+ years experience managing a team
- 5+ years of writing and reporting experience at a website, newspaper, or magazine