Common is a global residential manager making city living easier for renters through the thoughtful use of technology and design. Common delivers exceptional experiences for thousands of residents across coliving, microunits, and traditional apartments. Founded in 2015, they are the preferred choice for residents looking for stress-free city living from a trusted brand, and for real estate owners seeking reliable, above-market returns.
It’s an exciting time to be part of Common’s team. With over 18,000 units signed and under development and over $110 million in global venture capital investment, Common is expanding its reliable, renter-first property operations to 22 cities across the world.
To follow the latest Common news, get to know our community of residents, and learn about what it’s like to work at Common, you can follow us on Instagram, Linkedin, and Twitter. To see more open roles and hear from Common employees check out our Careers Page.
About the Role
Common is looking for an experienced Maintenance Supervisor to look after our growing portfolio of homes. This is a leadership role that will be responsible for the upkeep and maintenance of our properties. Having strong technical skills of various crafts such as carpentry and plumbing, and knowledge of administrative tasks such as scheduling are essential. This position performs technical and mechanical work that ensures the physical aspects of the buildings, grounds, amenities and common areas of the property meet the standards for cleanliness, appearance, safety, and overall functionality.
- Manage and oversee all maintenance aspects of our portfolio of properties
- Supervise and train Maintenance Technicians
- Inspect facilities periodically to determine problems and necessary maintenance to building systems (heating, ventilation, etc.)
- Prepare weekly maintenance schedules, delegate, and complete resident work orders in a timely manner
- Complete all resident and site work orders as directed. Schedule and oversee third party trade partners, ensuring the safety, quality, and cleanliness of work performed
- Provide and maintain accurate record keeping of all maintenance requests
- Maintenance duties of our properties may include but is not limited to:
- Interior/exterior maintenance
- Care of the outside of the building including roof repairs, snow and leaf removal
- Light electrical, plumbing and HVAC work
- Complete “turnover” of vacant suites
- Appliance evaluation and repair
- Other carpentry/aesthetic work as needed
- Develop and implement standards for the cleanliness and overall appearance of the property
- Help suggest improvements and fixes to make our Property Management process more efficient
- Assist with developing the budget for property specific repair, maintenance, and capital expense and ensure compliance
- Prepare apartments for new move-ins and complete “make-ready” process of vacant apartments
- Monitor inventory of materials and equipment
- Participate in the coordination and management of CapEx projects (e.g. renovations).
- Ensure adherence to quality standards and health and safety regulations
- Ability to be on-call during off-hours
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule including weekends and holidays
- Perform other duties as assigned
- 4-5 years of residential maintenance experience working in a position maintaining large buildings including plumbing, mechanical, electrical, and HVAC
- Proven experience as a maintenance supervisor or similar role
- In-depth knowledge of building systems (HVAC, Electrical and Plumbing). You won't be required to fix every problem but a strong candidate will know how to diagnose problems and determine who is the appropriate person to call for maintenance
- Knowledgeable and skilled in the safe use and maintenance of hand tools, power tools, and mechanical equipment
- Comfortable with technology
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of Fair Housing rules and regulations
- Knowledge of health & safety practices and regulations
- Understanding of budgeting and performance management
- High school diploma; Degree from a vocational school will be a plus
- Professional Certifications (e.g. CMRP, EPA/Universal, HVAC certified, etc.) are preferred
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to lift up to 50lbs, be on feet for extended periods of time & utilize stairs
- Common is committed to providing accessible employment practices and welcomes applications from people with disabilities. If you require accommodation for a disability during any stage of the recruitment process, please let us know.
What We Offer
Common truly values our employees and wants to do everything to ensure that our employees are not only happy and professionally fulfilled, but also that they have the opportunity to be healthy. Because of this, we are committed to providing a number of affordable and valuable health and wellness benefits for our employees such as:
- Paid vacation and sick time
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- FSA + HSA options
- Company-paid life insurance
- Company-paid STD/LTD
- Paid parental leave
- 401k plans
Additional benefits such as equity, paid holidays, commuter transit benefits, job training + development opportunities + a great wellness program are also available. And as always, we are regularly evaluating our offerings to ensure employees' needs are being met.
Common is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations, and ordinances.