Common is a global residential manager making city living easier for renters through the thoughtful use of technology and design. Common delivers exceptional experiences for thousands of residents across coliving, microunits, and traditional apartments. Founded in 2015, they are the preferred choice for residents looking for stress-free city living from a trusted brand, and for real estate owners seeking reliable, above-market returns.
It’s an exciting time to be part of Common’s team. With over 18,000 units signed and under development and over $110 million in global venture capital investment, Common is expanding its reliable, renter-first property operations to 22 cities across the world.
To follow the latest Common news, get to know our community of residents, and learn about what it’s like to work at Common, you can follow us on Instagram, Linkedin, and Twitter. To see more open roles and hear from Common employees check out our Careers Page.
About the Role
Common is seeking a Business Manager to join our growing team. This position will ensure the properties meet budgeted financial and operational goals by managing onsite staff and collaborating closely with Common’s specialized teams (Sales, Maintenance, Marketing, Accounting). As the primary contact to owners, success in this role requires razor-sharp analytical skills. This role will report to the Director of Property Management.
- Prepare annual operating budgets and perform budget projections for all properties
- Ensure and complete all required weekly, monthly, and quarterly reports are completed accurately, on-time, and with relevant analyses
- Act as the primary point of contact to property owners
- Work with stakeholders to implement effective cost control, revenue maximization, and delinquency management systems
- Maintain thorough product knowledge of all your properties and their competitors
- Ensure your buildings perform to targeted performance metrics
- Utilize online accounting systems, including but not limited to approving large purchase orders and annual contracts
- Ongoing management of onsite staff and constant coordination with cross-functional stakeholders in Maintenance, Sales, Compliance, Leasing, and Accounting
- Tour prospective members through our homes
- Overseeing and coordinate all resident relations including member escalations
- Work with the Member Support team to investigate and resolve member concerns and complaints
- Assist in ensuring that all work orders and repair requests are processed in a timely fashion
- Drive local member experience through events and member delight efforts
- Walk properties daily (vacant apartments, common areas, amenities, and grounds)
- Assisting on all emergency situations
- Other ad hoc projects may be assigned
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule including weekends and holidays
- 3+ years experience in Property Management
- 3+ years experience in Leasing
- Demonstrated success and experience managing a growing team
- Comfortable working with leases
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel
- Extreme level of empathy and ability to connect with people from all walks of life; ability to balance a passion for making people happy while setting expectations
- Previous sales experience
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written
- Impeccable organization, attention to detail, and ability to handle high volume and manage your own time
- Self-starter that’s comfortable operating in an ambiguous environment and able to make smart decisions quickly using both data and strong emotional intelligence
- Experience working cross-functionally with a demonstrated ability to both give and receive constructive feedback
What We Offer
Common truly values our employees and wants to do everything to ensure that our employees are not only happy and professionally fulfilled, but also that they have the opportunity to be healthy. Because of this, we are committed to providing a number of affordable and valuable health and wellness benefits for our employees such as:
- Paid vacation and sick time
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- FSA + HSA options
- Company-paid life insurance
- Company-paid STD/LTD
- Paid parental leave
- 401k plans
Additional benefits such as paid holidays, commuter transit benefits, job training + development opportunities + a great wellness program are also available. And as always, we are regularly evaluating our offerings to ensure employees' needs are being met.
Common is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations, and ordinances.