Common is the nation’s leading residential brand and operating platform that designs, leases, and manages multifamily properties that appeal to today's renters. Through smart design and tech-enabled property management, Common delivers exceptional experiences to thousands of residents in coliving, microunit, and traditional apartments in cities from coast to coast. Founded in October 2015, we are the preferred choice for renters looking for a stress-free apartment from a trusted brand, and for real estate owners seeking reliable, above-market returns.
We challenge ourselves every day not just to think about ways to make city living better, but to activate those ideas in meaningful ways. Our team is comprised of real estate professionals, designers, engineers, salespeople, marketers, member service representatives, and so much more. We work collaboratively, value self-startership, and embrace a “whatever it takes” mentality to ensure our work is done and done well. Common sits squarely at the intersection between technology and real estate, working every day to build quality residential solutions that bring positive change to the world’s rental housing crisis.
It’s an exciting time to be part of Common’s team. With over 17,500 units signed and under development and over $110 million in global venture capital investment, Common is expanding its reliable, renter-first property operations to 26 cities across the world.
To follow the latest Common news, get to know our community of residents, and learn about what it’s like to work at Common, you can follow us on Instagram, Linkedin, and Twitter. To see more open roles and hear from Common employees check out our Careers Page.
About the role
We are looking for a solution-oriented, internal and external customer-focused leader to lead the Property Management team. This individual will be responsible for the management of operations team members, our properties, vendor and strategic partner relationship management, and developing the operational and brand strategy to manage a fast-growing portfolio. Reporting to the EVP of Operations, this is a critical leadership role at our company and will be a thought leader to support the rest of the organization.
- Manage a nation-wide team across our portfolio of properties, with the goal of providing amazing customer service to our residents and real estate partners
- Manage property operations and centralized teams.
- Drive brand strategy for Common’s brands Noah, Common, Milly
- Manage relationships with building owners, contractors, vendors and strategic partners
- Ensure that all properties are meeting budgeted performance
- Partner with Underwriting and Real Estate team to win new business
- Participate in new business pitches and provide strategy and underwriting input as needed
- Hire, support, and provide performance feedback to a diverse team including directors, portfolio managers, business managers, community managers, maintenance technicians, porters, and building administrators
- Oversight for property services planning, staffing, budgeting, capital improvement priorities, and changes to methods and practices
- Continuously focused on improving efficiency, effectiveness and scalability
- Focus on Accounts Receivable from members to ensure delinquencies are managed efficiency and effectively
- Work with other operational leaders and the executive team to prioritize initiatives and contributes valuable insights that shape the longer-term direction of the company
- This job description does not imply that the above functions are the only tasks that may be performed. Associates will be expected, if possible, to follow any other job-related instructions and perform any other job-related tasks as directed by management
- 10+ years experience in multifamily property management (2-3 years in senior leadership roles)
- 3+ years experience in multifamily asset management
- Experience working in European markets (preferred but not required)
- Technical understanding of building systems and maintenance requirements
- Passion for building teams and relentlessly optimistic
- Project management skills to identify problems, scope solutions and take action on areas for improvement
- Ability to travel periodically throughout the month to homes
All candidates for roles in markets where either Common Living Inc. or the local jurisdiction mandates full vaccination against COVID-19 to work at our buildings must as a condition of employment provide proof of full vaccination with an FDA authorized and/or approved COVID-19 vaccine upon hire, subject to a reasonable accommodation being granted. For roles in all other markets, full vaccination against COVID-19 is preferred; for those not fully vaccinated in these markets weekly COVID-19 testing is required.
What We Offer
Common truly values our employees and wants to do everything to ensure that our employees are not only happy and professionally fulfilled, but also that they have the opportunity to be healthy. Because of this, we are committed to providing a number of affordable and valuable health and wellness benefits for our employees such as:
- Paid vacation and sick time
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- FSA + HSA options
- Company-paid life insurance
- Company-paid STD/LTD
- Paid parental leave
- 401k plans
Additional benefits such as equity, paid holidays, commuter transit benefits, job training + development opportunities + a great wellness program are also available. And as always, we are regularly evaluating our offerings to ensure employees' needs are being met.
Common is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations, and ordinances.
Common is committed to providing accessible employment practices and welcomes applications from people with disabilities. If you require accommodation for a disability during any stage of the recruitment process, please let us know