Common is the nation’s leading residential brand and operating platform that designs, leases, and manages multifamily properties that appeal to today's renters. Through smart design and tech-enabled property management, Common delivers exceptional experiences to thousands of residents in coliving, microunit, and traditional apartments in cities from coast to coast. Founded in October 2015, we are the preferred choice for renters looking for a stress-free apartment from a trusted brand, and for real estate owners seeking reliable, above-market returns.
We challenge ourselves every day not just to think about ways to make city living better, but to activate those ideas in meaningful ways. Our team is comprised of real estate professionals, designers, engineers, salespeople, marketers, member service representatives, and so much more. We work collaboratively, value self-startership, and embrace a “whatever it takes” mentality to ensure our work is done and done well. Common sits squarely at the intersection between technology and real estate, working every day to build quality residential solutions that bring positive change to the world’s rental housing crisis.
It’s an exciting time to be part of Common’s team. With over 17,500 units signed and under development and over $110 million in global venture capital investment, Common is expanding its reliable, renter-first property operations to 26 cities across the world.
To follow the latest Common news, get to know our community of residents, and learn about what it’s like to work at Common, you can follow us on Instagram, Linkedin, and Twitter. To see more open roles and hear from Common employees check out our Careers Page.
About the Role
We are looking for an Associate to join the Real Estate Underwriting team to analyze and underwrite new transactions entering Common’s pipeline and help grow Common’s management portfolio. The ideal candidate has a strong technical background with at least 2-5 years of real estate modeling experience, exceptional oral and written communication and presentation skills, and a desire to work in a fast-growing startup environment. This position reports to the Director of Underwriting and can be located in New York or Los Angeles.
- Conduct financial analysis, market research, and pro forma underwriting to generate competitive business plans that help Common win new deals
- Pitch Common’s unique value proposition and operational nuances via underwriting presentations to potential real estate partners
- Identify new insights to drive the development of strategies that improve Common’s profitability
- Constantly improve the underwriting model to make Common’s underwriting and business plans more effective and competitive
- Generate additional analyses and presentation materials required to win deals
- Bachelor’s Degree in Real Estate, Finance, Business, Accounting, a related discipline, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 2-5 years of real estate modeling experience, preferably in multifamily, with a strong technical/analytical track record
- Comfortable working on multiple deals and projects at the same time
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Comfortable communicating across multiple levels of our organization
- Emotional intelligence
- A resourceful team player with a “can-do” attitude
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced, dynamic startup environment
What We Offer
Common truly values our employees and wants to do everything to ensure that our employees are not only happy and professionally fulfilled, but also that they have the opportunity to be healthy. Because of this, we are committed to providing a number of affordable and valuable health and wellness benefits for our employees such as paid vacation and sick time, medical, dental and vision insurance, Company paid life insurance, Company paid STD/LTD, FSA + HSA options, commuter transit benefits, generous paid parental leave and a 401K. Additional benefits such as equity, paid holidays, weekly team lunches + happy hours, a fully stocked kitchen, job training + development opportunities + a great wellness program are also available. And as always, we are regularly evaluating our offerings to ensure employees' needs are being met.
We are committed to affirmatively providing equal opportunity to all associates and qualified applicants without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, legally protected physical or mental disability, military or veteran status or any other basis protected under applicable federal or state law.