Common is the nation’s leading residential brand and operating platform that designs, leases, and manages multifamily properties that appeal to today's renters. Through smart design and tech-enabled property management, Common delivers exceptional experiences to thousands of residents in coliving, microunit, and traditional apartments in cities from coast to coast. Founded in October 2015, we are the preferred choice for renters looking for a stress-free apartment from a trusted brand, and for real estate owners seeking reliable, above-market returns.
We challenge ourselves every day not just to think about ways to make city living better, but to activate those ideas in meaningful ways. Our team is comprised of real estate professionals, designers, engineers, salespeople, marketers, member service representatives, and so much more. We work collaboratively, value self-startership, and embrace a “whatever it takes” mentality to ensure our work is done and done well. Common sits squarely at the intersection between technology and real estate, working every day to build quality residential solutions that bring positive change to the world’s rental housing crisis.
It’s an exciting time to be part of Common’s team. With over 17,500 units signed and under development and over $110 million in global venture capital investment, Common is expanding its reliable, renter-first property operations to 26 cities across the world.
To follow the latest Common news, get to know our community of residents, and learn about what it’s like to work at Common, you can follow us on Instagram, Linkedin, and Twitter. To see more open roles and hear from Common employees check out our Careers Page.
About the Role
We are looking for a hard-working, motivated individual to join our growing finance team! This is an exciting opportunity to be a part of a fast-paced, high energy company. In this role, you will work closely with the Corporate Controller and other members of the Finance Team in all aspects of finance and accounting functions to support the corporate operations. This role reports to the Corporate Controller
- Oversee and ensure the financial close process and timeline sufficiently meets our internal reporting timeline.
- Implement process improvements to streamline the monthly close, reduce cycle time and improve information quality
- Oversee and manage general ledger accounting activities to ensure timely and accurate reporting, including chart of accounts maintenance, journal entries, reconciliations and supporting schedules
- Be a key point of contact for the annual external audit process, working with the audit team to supply the appropriate information and preparing the annual consolidated financial statements, as well as supplying requested documents for the Company’s tax preparation.
- Play an active role in the accounting and review of month-end journal entries, reconciliations, and financial statement reporting and analysis.
- Develop and implement effective systems, accounting policies and financial controls which maintain the integrity of all financial transactions and reporting of the Company.
- Support the implementation and operationalization of new accounting standards, various complex business transactions and research technical accounting issues (i.e. revenue, equity, lease accounting, etc.).
- Establish and maintain strong business partnerships with key counterparts including FP&A, Operations, Property Accounting and key functional business owners.
- Support accounting function related to stock based compensation, fixed assets, depreciation, and revenue recognition
- Bachelor’s degree (B.A. / B.S.) or equivalent in Finance or Accounting.
- Big Four public accounting experience and CPA preferred Accounting experience in a real estate environment preferred
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, and strategic-thinking skills with a forward-looking focus
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to thrive in a team environment working with others
- Excellent time-management and organizational skills with experience in working toward tight deadlines
- Demonstrated professional commitment, initiative, accountability, and ownership of assignments
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment and adept at handling change
- Possess strong working knowledge of ERP systems and accounting sub ledgers
- Proficiency in assigned areas including the accounting treatment of underlying
What We Offer
Common truly values our employees and wants to do everything to ensure that our employees are not only happy and professionally fulfilled, but also that they have the opportunity to be healthy. Because of this, we are committed to providing a number of affordable and valuable health and wellness benefits for our employees such as:
- Paid vacation and sick time
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- FSA + HSA options
- Company-paid life insurance
- Company-paid STD/LTD
- Paid parental leave
- 401k plans
Additional benefits such as equity, paid holidays, commuter transit benefits, job training + development opportunities + a great wellness program are also available. And as always, we are regularly evaluating our offerings to ensure employees' needs are being met.
Common is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations, and ordinances.