Common is the nation’s leading residential brand and operating platform that designs, leases, and manages multifamily properties that appeal to today's renters. Through smart design and tech-enabled property management, Common delivers exceptional experiences to thousands of residents in coliving, microunit, and traditional apartments in cities from coast to coast. Founded in October 2015, we are the preferred choice for renters looking for a stress-free apartment from a trusted brand, and for real estate owners seeking reliable, above-market returns.
We challenge ourselves every day not just to think about ways to make city living better, but to activate those ideas in meaningful ways. Our team is comprised of real estate professionals, designers, engineers, salespeople, marketers, member service representatives, and so much more. We work collaboratively, value self-startership, and embrace a “whatever it takes” mentality to ensure our work is done and done well. Common sits squarely at the intersection between technology and real estate, working every day to build quality residential solutions that bring positive change to the world’s rental housing crisis.
It’s an exciting time to be part of Common’s team. With over 17,500 units signed and under development and over $110 million in global venture capital investment, Common is expanding its reliable, renter-first property operations to 26 cities across the world.
To follow the latest Common news, get to know our community of residents, and learn about what it’s like to work at Common, you can follow us on Instagram, Linkedin, and Twitter. To see more open roles and hear from Common employees check out our Careers Page.
About the Role
Common is looking for an experienced Property Manager to look after our growing portfolio of homes. You will be the eyes and ears of the property service team, working closely within the Member Services team to deliver great experiences for our members throughout their stay. The role is extremely varied, and as well as looking after building systems (HVAC, plumbing, electrical) you will be required to troubleshoot problems unique to our business model (e.g setting up and troubleshooting Sonos systems, Wifi etc). Successful candidates will be extremely comfortable interacting with out customers on a regular basis and take pride in delivering excellent service.
- Manage and oversee all aspects of a portfolio of properties
- Ensure property technicians are prioritizing and managing maintenance requests
- Ongoing management of a staff of assistant property technicians, property technicians, porters, and an army of third party trade partners dedicated to keeping these buildings in top condition
- Implement preventative maintenance plan to ensure all building systems are well maintained and conform to building code and other regulations
- Oversee property technicians who troubleshoot, analyze, and perform routine maintenance on facilities and equipment
- Conduct regular inspections of facilities and equipment to ensure proper operation
- Schedule, oversee, and assist assigned contractors ensuring the safety, quality, and cleanliness of work performed
- Work with the Property Services Coordinator to schedule and supervise contractors at the property
- Provide and maintain accurate record keeping of all maintenance requests
- Maintain and manage all documents to ensure we are compliant with local law
- Manage common stock and assets, moving them between homes where necessary
- Help suggest improvements and fixes to make our Property Management process run even smoother
- Occasionally provide ad-hoc maintenance requests based on business needs
- Occasionally attend member events as and when required
- 5 - 7 years of residential maintenance experience working in a position maintaining large buildings including plumbing, mechanical, electrical, and HVAC
- Bachelor's' degree or equivalent work experience
- Budget Management and Facilities Management
- Working knowledge of HVAC, plumbing and electrical systems. You won't be required to fix every problem but you will need to be able to diagnose them and know who to call.
- Skilled in general handyman work, especially carpentry
- Good understanding of the nuances of local property regulations
- Comfortable with technology - you use software applications to manage your time and interact with others and are comfortable using them in a property management context
- Experience with a “lease-up” and taking over a building from construction
- Previous roles should have included some management of facility staff
- Self-starter able to work independently with limited supervision
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule including weekends and holidays
- Strong attention to detail; organized, methodical approach to execution
- Good working knowledge of technology especially google suite of tools (drive, calendars etc), able to adapt easily to new tools and ways of working
- Comfortable with asana, zendesk, happy co, google calendar
- Diligent and hardworking; you know what it takes to do a great job and you do it
- Friendly and approachable; you enjoy interacting with people every day and people enjoy interacting with you
- Good attention to detail
- Skilled at prioritizing your workload
- Comfortable working independently; you will often be working completely on your own for days at a time
- Comfortable with uncertainty plans change frequently, and it's important that doesn't worry you
- Calm, cool and collected; things don't phase you, and you don't get stressed when things go wrong or you have a lot on your plate
- Open and willing to implement new technology
- Good communicator; you give visibility of what's going on, and don't try to solve every issue by yourself
What We Offer
Common truly values our employees and wants to do everything to ensure that our employees are not only happy and professionally fulfilled, but also that they have the opportunity to be healthy. Because of this, we are committed to providing a number of affordable and valuable health and wellness benefits for our employees such as:
- Paid vacation and sick time
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- FSA + HSA options
- Company-paid life insurance
- Company-paid STD/LTD
- Paid parental leave
- 401k plans
Additional benefits such as equity, paid holidays, commuter transit benefits, job training + development opportunities + a great wellness program are also available. And as always, we are regularly evaluating our offerings to ensure employees' needs are being met.
Common is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations, and ordinances.