Common is the nation’s leading residential brand and operating platform that designs, leases, and manages multifamily properties that appeal to today's renters. Through smart design and tech-enabled property management, Common delivers exceptional experiences to thousands of residents in coliving, microunit, and traditional apartments in cities from coast to coast. Founded in October 2015, we are the preferred choice for renters looking for a stress-free apartment from a trusted brand, and for real estate owners seeking reliable, above-market returns.
We challenge ourselves every day not just to think about ways to make city living better, but to activate those ideas in meaningful ways. Our team is comprised of real estate professionals, designers, engineers, salespeople, marketers, member service representatives, and so much more. We work collaboratively, value self-startership, and embrace a “whatever it takes” mentality to ensure our work is done and done well. Common sits squarely at the intersection between technology and real estate, working every day to build quality residential solutions that bring positive change to the world’s rental housing crisis.
It’s an exciting time to be part of Common’s team. With over 17,500 units signed and under development and over $110 million in global venture capital investment, Common is expanding its reliable, renter-first property operations to 26 cities across the world.
To follow the latest Common news, get to know our community of residents, and learn about what it’s like to work at Common, you can follow us on Instagram, Linkedin, and Twitter. To see more open roles and hear from Common employees check out our Careers Page.
About the Role
Common is seeking a Director of Real Estate to grow our real estate pipeline nationally. The Director of Real Estate will be responsible for sourcing potential management opportunities, building and managing relationships with national developers, brokers and owners, as well as running the deal signing process.
This role will report directly to our Senior Managing Director of Real Estate, who is based in Los Angeles.
- Identify, initiate and develop relationships with new real estate partners in a client-facing role, and provide regular updates to track performance to goals
- Lead and coordinate initiatives, activities, and strategies for new business/market development by identifying potential partners, cultivating relationships, soliciting business, creating and presenting formal business proposals, and negotiating final agreements
- Execute Common’s business development strategy by monitoring and analyzing market information and trends for new partnership opportunities
- Review and present operating pro formas and business plan to real estate partners
- Prepare internal and external presentation materials and documents (e.g., pitch materials, business plans, management agreements)
- Work with internal and external design and construction teams to optimize floor plans for shared housing
- Lead deal negotiations to partner with real estate owners
- Build Common’s presence in new and existing markets through speaking and press opportunities, and participation in industry events
- Facilitate coordination and communication between Real Estate and other teams at Common (e.g., work with Marketing to get monthly lease-up velocity information)
- Occasional travel to pitch business and attend industry networking events
- You are hungry to build a company, a brand, and a new asset class in real estate
- You have at least six years experience in property management, acquisitions, or asset management, residential preferred
- You have experience in business development or revenue generating roles
- You can review and present financial analysis for real estate acquisitions and operating pro formas
- You have strong interpersonal and communication skills and are comfortable in a client-facing role
- You have strong business writing skills
- You are comfortable working in a fast-paced, dynamic startup environment
- You are entrepreneurial, able to work without well-worn paths or established protocols, but instead remain focused on our goals
- You are known for finding creative solutions to difficult problems and for your critical thinking
- You know how to ask for help when you need it
- You keep your cool in stressful situations
- College degree preferred or relevant experience
What We Offer
Common truly values our employees and wants to do everything to ensure that our employees are not only happy and professionally fulfilled, but also that they have the opportunity to be healthy. Because of this, we are committed to providing a number of affordable and valuable health and wellness benefits for our employees such as:
- Paid vacation and sick time
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- FSA + HSA options
- Company-paid life insurance
- Company-paid STD/LTD
- Paid parental leave
- 401k plans
Additional benefits such as equity, paid holidays, commuter transit benefits, job training + development opportunities + a great wellness program are also available. And as always, we are regularly evaluating our offerings to ensure employees' needs are being met.
Common is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations, and ordinances.