Common is the nation’s leading residential brand and operating platform that designs, leases, and manages multifamily properties that appeal to today's renters. Through smart design and tech-enabled property management, Common delivers exceptional experiences to thousands of residents in coliving, microunit, and traditional apartments in cities from coast to coast. Founded in October 2015, we are the preferred choice for renters looking for a stress-free apartment from a trusted brand, and for real estate owners seeking reliable, above-market returns.
We challenge ourselves every day not just to think about ways to make city living better, but to activate those ideas in meaningful ways. Our team is comprised of real estate professionals, designers, engineers, salespeople, marketers, member service representatives, and so much more. We work collaboratively, value self-startership, and embrace a “whatever it takes” mentality to ensure our work is done and done well. Common sits squarely at the intersection between technology and real estate, working every day to build quality residential solutions that bring positive change to the world’s rental housing crisis.
It’s an exciting time to be part of Common’s team. With over 17,500 units signed and under development and over $110 million in global venture capital investment, Common is expanding its reliable, renter-first property operations to 26 cities across the world.
To follow the latest Common news, get to know our community of residents, and learn about what it’s like to work at Common, you can follow us on Instagram, Linkedin, and Twitter. To see more open roles and hear from Common employees check out our Careers Page.
About the Role
Common is looking for an experienced Property Manager to manage a portfolio of buildings for our institutional clients. You will ensure these properties meet budgeted financial and operational goals by managing onsite Associate Property Managers and collaborating closely with Common’s specialized teams (Sales, Maintenance, Marketing, Accounting). As the primary contact to owners, success in this role requires razor-sharp analytical skills as well as a high EQ. This role will report to the Senior Director of Property Management.
- Prepare annual operating budgets and perform budget projections for all properties.
- Ensure all required weekly, monthly, and quarterly reports are completed accurately, on-time, and with relevant analyses
- Act as the primary point of contact with Common’s largest property owners.
- Work with stakeholders to implement effective cost control, revenue maximization, and delinquency management systems.
- Maintain thorough product knowledge of all your properties and their competitors
- Ensure your buildings perform to targeted performance metrics.
- Utilize online accounting systems, including but not limited to approving large purchase orders and annual contracts.
- Ongoing management of onsite Associate Property Managers and constant coordination with cross-functional stakeholders in Maintenance, Sales, Compliance, Leasing, and Accounting.
- Travel 2-4 times per month to inspect buildings and ensure efficient operations.
- Help suggest improvements and fixes to make our Property Management process run more efficiently.
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule including weekends and holidays.
- Firmly grasp local property regulation nuances.
- & other ad hoc projects from time to time
- A minimum of 5 years as a Residential Property Manager.
- A minimum of 2 years of leasing experience.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience
- Working knowledge of building systems.
- General knowledge of housing authority procedures.
- Strong knowledge of fair housing rules and regulations.
- Skilled user of collaboration tools such as G Suite, Slack, and property management software (preferably Entrata).
- Ability to support and/or manage the eviction process.
- Ability to collaborate cross-functionally
- Strong leadership and mentoring ability.
- Self-starter is able to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Strong time management skills with keen attention to detail; organized, methodical approach to execution.
- Advanced bookkeeping knowledge with the ability to perform general accounting functions.
- Emotional Intelligence
- Scrappy and resourceful problem solver
- A team player with a “can-do” attitude
What We Offer
Common truly values our employees and wants to do everything to ensure that our employees are not only happy and professionally fulfilled, but also that they have the opportunity to be healthy. Because of this, we are committed to providing a number of affordable and valuable health and wellness benefits for our employees such as:
- Paid vacation and sick time
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- FSA + HSA options
- Company-paid life insurance
- Company-paid STD/LTD
- Paid parental leave
- 401k plans
Additional benefits such as equity, paid holidays, commuter transit benefits, job training + development opportunities + a great wellness program are also available. And as always, we are regularly evaluating our offerings to ensure employees' needs are being met.
Common is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations, and ordinances.