Common is the nation’s leading residential brand and operating platform that designs, leases, and manages multifamily properties that appeal to today's renters. Through smart design and tech-enabled property management, Common delivers exceptional experiences to thousands of residents in coliving, microunit, and traditional apartments in cities from coast to coast. Founded in October 2015, we are the preferred choice for renters looking for a stress-free apartment from a trusted brand, and for real estate owners seeking reliable, above-market returns.
We challenge ourselves every day not just to think about ways to make city living better, but to activate those ideas in meaningful ways. Our team is comprised of real estate professionals, designers, engineers, salespeople, marketers, member service representatives, and so much more. We work collaboratively, value self-startership, and embrace a “whatever it takes” mentality to ensure our work is done and done well. Common sits squarely at the intersection between technology and real estate, working every day to build quality residential solutions that bring positive change to the world’s rental housing crisis.
It’s an exciting time to be part of Common’s team. With over 17,500 units signed and under development and over $110 million in global venture capital investment, Common is expanding its reliable, renter-first property operations to 26 cities across the world.
To follow the latest Common news, get to know our community of residents, and learn about what it’s like to work at Common, you can follow us on Instagram, Linkedin, and Twitter. To see more open roles and hear from Common employees check out our Careers Page.
About the Role
Common is seeking a Director of Real Estate to lead our Underwriting Team and accelerate our expansion. As the leader of the Underwriting Team, you will mentor and coach a group of talented, hard working and experienced professionals, oversee the creation of budget proposals for prospective clients, participate in pitch meetings, and advance the sophistication of the underwriting desk. The role is critical to the success of Common and needs to be filled by an individual with experience, knowledge, leadership talent and the drive to succeed. The position reports to the Company’s Chief Investment Officer.
- With the help of our Underwriting and Business Development team, generate and finalize client budget proposals that demonstrate the benefits of Common’s proprietary technology, use of centralization, and brand-driven marketing
- Act as a partner to our Business Development team in winning new deals. In presentations, you’ll leverage your Operations, Property Management and Underwriting expertise to provide a compelling narrative around Common’s value proposition and unique benefits
- Collaborate regularly with Common’s Operations team to measure performance, share insights, iterate on our operating model and update our underwriting standards
- Aggregate, analyze, and integrate client feedback to improve the efficacy of Common’s proposals
- Support the Product team in defining Common’s offerings and value proposition to clients
- Be a key voice in improving Common’s underwriting standards,data infrastructure and operations
- Create and lead a weekly Property Management 101 curriculum for our Business Development team
- 8+ years of Multifamily Property Management experience
- Strong multifamily operating and underwriting expertise that includes deep experience with budgeting, monthly reporting, staffing, and property management software
- Skill working with industry datasets and analysis tools
- Has the maturity, confidence and communication skills to excel in external client meetings and contribute in a collaborative way to internal technical discussions
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Bachelor’s degree required
What We Offer
Common truly values our employees and wants to do everything to ensure that our employees are not only happy and professionally fulfilled, but also that they have the opportunity to be healthy. Because of this, we are committed to providing a number of affordable and valuable health and wellness benefits for our employees such as:
- Paid vacation and sick time
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- FSA + HSA options
- Company-paid life insurance
- Company-paid STD/LTD
- Paid parental leave
- 401k plans
Additional benefits such as equity, paid holidays, commuter transit benefits, job training + development opportunities + a great wellness program are also available. And as always, we are regularly evaluating our offerings to ensure employees' needs are being met.
Common is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations, and ordinances.