Common is the nation’s leading residential brand and operating platform that designs, leases, and manages multifamily properties that appeal to today's renters. Through smart design and tech-enabled property management, Common delivers exceptional experiences to thousands of residents in coliving, microunit, and traditional apartments in cities from coast to coast. Founded in October 2015, we are the preferred choice for renters looking for a stress-free apartment from a trusted brand, and for real estate owners seeking reliable, above-market returns.
We challenge ourselves every day not just to think about ways to make city living better, but to activate those ideas in meaningful ways. Our team is comprised of real estate professionals, designers, engineers, salespeople, marketers, member service representatives, and so much more. We work collaboratively, value self-startership, and embrace a “whatever it takes” mentality to ensure our work is done and done well. Common sits squarely at the intersection between technology and real estate, working every day to build quality residential solutions that bring positive change to the world’s rental housing crisis.
It’s an exciting time to be part of Common’s team. With over 17,500 units signed and under development and over $110 million in global venture capital investment, Common is expanding its reliable, renter-first property operations to 26 cities across the world.
To follow the latest Common news, get to know our community of residents, and learn about what it’s like to work at Common, you can follow us on Instagram, Linkedin, and Twitter. To see more open roles and hear from Common employees check out our Careers Page.
About the Role:
Common is hiring an operational Chief Financial Officer to partner with the CEO and Executive Team as the company undergoes substantial growth and transformation.
- Manage and lead all financial functions, including Financial Reporting, Budgeting, Planning and Analysis, cash management, profit management, payroll, banking, and audit activities
- Implement tools and systems to provide critical financial information to the CEO and executive team to assist in critical decision making. Including BI, dashboards, and data analytics
- Develop and enhance a financial foundation with appropriate talent, processes, and technology that will allow the business to grow effectively year over year
- Oversee, lead and administer annual budgeting and planning processes; monitor progress and changes of the P&L to keep senior leadership team abreast of the organization’s financial status
- Drive regular business review processes with management and key departments to assess performance tracking against overall business objectives and goals
- Develop and monitor cross-functional KPIs and provide hands-on, metrics-driven financial leadership to help accelerate growth and profitability
- Play a key role in the continuous testing and refinement of drivers, assumptions, and business initiatives which will drive growth in both revenues and profitability
- Support CEO and VP of People Operations in the development of performance management and incentive systems to drive the organization
- Engage leadership team to develop short, medium, and long-term financial plans and projections
- Ensure accurate and timely financial reporting and compliance
- Provide insightful and trusted counsel to the Chief Executive Officer, Chief Investment Officer, management team, and the Board on both financial and broad-based business issues
- Analyze business risks and opportunities and make recommendations as they affect the financial results of the business
- Manage the corporate finance strategy by raising appropriate levels of debt and equity to meet growth requirements while maintaining an optimized capital structure
- Recent experience as a CFO in fast-growing company ($30-40M in revenue)
- Previous experience and success in a Private Equity or Venture Capital backed environment
- Experience working in a debt leveraged environment with an understanding of credit agreements, covenants, and other balance sheet instruments
- Success serving as a true business partner to the CEO, investors, and management peers regarding the financial implications of all major business decisions, as well as strategic objectives
- Experience implementing financial, operational, and analytic IT systems and controls
- Experience successfully evaluating, executing, and integrating acquisitions not required but helpful
- Ability to view the business from a broader perspective, integrating finance and business issues to develop insight and solutions that add value to a senior management team beyond finance. Understanding key operational business drivers to support company growth objectives
- Experience scrutinizing operations and implementing internal controls with an eye toward keeping costs in line with expectations.
- Business and operationally oriented with a strong FP&A skillset
- Hands-on leadership with the ability to attract, retain and mentor a highly motivated and talented financial and accounting team in a lean and efficient manner
- Results-driven with a can-do yet thoughtful attitude. High energy and a balanced ego
- Strong communication and analytical skills
- Detail orientation and operational rigor
- Impeccable integrity and high ethical standards
- Must be firm and decisive, yet collaborative
- Entrepreneurial demeanor, a strong sense of urgency, and an unrelenting drive to succeed
What We Offer
Common truly values our employees and wants to do everything to ensure that our employees are not only happy and professionally fulfilled, but also that they have the opportunity to be healthy. Because of this, we are committed to providing a number of affordable and valuable health and wellness benefits for our employees such as:
- Paid vacation and sick time
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- FSA + HSA options
- Company-paid life insurance
- Company-paid STD/LTD
- Paid parental leave
- 401k plans
Additional benefits such as equity, paid holidays, commuter transit benefits, job training + development opportunities + a great wellness program are also available. And as always, we are regularly evaluating our offerings to ensure employees' needs are being met.
Common is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations, and ordinances.