Common is the nation’s leading residential brand and operating platform that designs, leases, and manages multifamily properties that appeal to today's renters. Through smart design and tech-enabled property management, Common delivers exceptional experiences to thousands of residents in coliving, microunit, and traditional apartments in cities from coast to coast. Founded in October 2015, we are the preferred choice for renters looking for a stress-free apartment from a trusted brand, and for real estate owners seeking reliable, above-market returns.
We challenge ourselves every day not just to think about ways to make city living better, but to activate those ideas in meaningful ways. Our team is comprised of real estate professionals, designers, engineers, salespeople, marketers, member service representatives, and so much more. We work collaboratively, value self-startership, and embrace a “whatever it takes” mentality to ensure our work is done and done well. Common sits squarely at the intersection between technology and real estate, working every day to build quality residential solutions that bring positive change to the world’s rental housing crisis.
It’s an exciting time to be part of Common’s team. With over 17,500 units signed and under development and over $110 million in global venture capital investment, Common is expanding it’s reliable, renter-first property operations to 26 cities across the world.
To follow the latest Common news, get to know our community of residents, and learn about what it’s like to work at Common, you can follow us on Instagram, Linkedin, and Twitter. To see more open roles and hear from Common employees check out our Careers Page.
About the Role
As Common’s Head of Talent, you will be responsible for leading the strategy and process behind our recruitment efforts to ensure we attract and retain the best talent. In this role, you will serve as a business partner in all things hiring and lead a team of talent acquisition specialists and recruiters to help Common achieve our aggressive growth targets. We plan to double our business in the next 12 months and look for someone who has experience recruiting for a highly distributed workforce with a sizable non-exempt population. You will also be responsible for strategic leadership and tactical support while driving change and being a champion of our culture. This is a unique opportunity for someone comfortable working in a fast-paced and high-growth environment. This is a director-level position and reports to our VP of People Operations.
- Design & execute an effective candidate sourcing strategy for roles across the organization from our Sales and Engineering teams to our Property Services teams in the field.
- Strengthen Common’s recruitment process, lifecycle & overall candidate experience.
- Develop an understanding of our culture, values, and operating principles, and then help codify and embed these in the day to day workings of our candidate experience and the organization.
- Work with our executive team and People Ops Business Partners to assess staffing needs against the business strategy and implement a planning process that anticipates hiring needs as we grow while maintaining efficiency and effectiveness across the organization.
- Be able to perceive talent gaps & anticipate staffing needs in-house & diligently work to fill those gaps.
- Successfully hire, manage, and develop a growing team of internal recruiters and coordinators between our New York and Atlanta offices.
- Identify and manage external talent acquisition and technology vendors that support the hiring process.
- Develop and implement recruiting KPIs and performance tracking for both recruiters & hiring managers, emphasizing maintaining high quality, values-aligned hires even through a period of rapid scale.
- Ensure data integrity and use reporting and metrics to improve recruiting efficiency
- Assist with the recruiting funnel on senior level and hard to fill requisitions,
- Other projects and responsibilities from time to time and based on business needs.
- You have 8+ years of full-cycle in house recruiting experience, ideally in a high volume, high-growth environment
- Experience managing distributed a team of recruiters and coordinators.
- You are a strong communicator and collaborator and have a robust problem-solving track record
- You have demonstrated previous success partnering with hiring managers to attract, engage, hire and retain exceptional talent at all levels, from our field operations team through our executive team
- You are a scrappy and resourceful problem solver and can think critically about big picture strategy while also getting into the weeds and being tactical.
- You have experience with recruiting tools and techniques (Greenhouse, LinkedIn, etc.).
- A team player with a “can-do” attitude
- BA/BS Degree or equivalent work experience
What We Offer
Common truly values our employees and wants to do everything to ensure that our employees are not only happy and professionally fulfilled, but also that they have the opportunity to be healthy. Because of this, we are committed to providing a number of affordable and valuable health and wellness benefits for our employees such as:
- Paid vacation and sick time
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- FSA + HSA options
- Company-paid life insurance
- Company-paid STD/LTD
- Paid parental leave
- 401k plans
Additional benefits such as equity, paid holidays, commuter transit benefits, job training + development opportunities + a great wellness program are also available. And as always, we are regularly evaluating our offerings to ensure employees' needs are being met.
Common is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations, and ordinances.