Common is the nation’s leading residential brand offering convenience and community through coliving and traditional apartments. Our signature tech-enabled property management allows us to deliver unparalleled experiences across our growing portfolio of homes. Common is the preferred choice for both residents looking for a stress-free and all-inclusive living environment, and for real estate owners seeking reliable, above-market returns. Launched in October 2015, we now operate homes across the United States and receive over 15,000 new member applications per month.
It’s an exciting time to be part of Common’s team. We challenge ourselves every day not just to think about ways to make city living better, but to activate those ideas in meaningful ways. Our team is comprised of real estate professionals, designers, engineers, salespeople, marketers, member service representatives, and so much more. We work collaboratively, value self-startership, and embrace a “whatever it takes” mentality to ensure our work is done and done well. Common sits squarely at the intersection between technology and real estate, working every day to build quality residential solutions that bring positive change to the world’s rental housing crisis.
Common was founded by Brad Hargreaves and has raised $65MM in venture funding. Brad is a visionary leader with vast experience in the technology and service space, previously founding the education company General Assembly.
To follow the latest Common news, get to know our community of residents, and learn about what it’s like to work at Common, you can follow us on Instagram, Linkedin, and Twitter. To see more open roles and hear from Common employees check out our Careers Page.
About the Role
Common is looking for an experienced Portfolio Manager to manage a portfolio of buildings remotely for mid-size clients. You will ensure these properties meet budgeted financial and operational goals by managing onsite Associate Property Managers and collaborating closely with Common’s specialized teams (Sales, Maintenance, Marketing, Accounting). As the primary contact to owners, success in this role requires razor sharp analytical skills as well a high EQ. This role will report to the Senior Director of Operations.
- Prepare annual operating budgets and perform budget projections for all properties
- Ensure all required weekly, monthly, and quarterly reports are completed accurately, on-time, and with relevant analyses
- Act as the primary point of contact to property owners
- Work with stakeholders to implement effective cost control, revenue maximization, and delinquency management systems
- Maintain thorough product knowledge of all your properties and their competitors
- Ensure your buildings perform to targeted performance metrics
- Utilize online accounting systems, including but not limited to approving large purchase orders and annual contracts
- Ongoing management of onsite Associate Property Managers and constant coordination with cross-functional stakeholders in Maintenance, Sales, Compliance, Leasing, and Accounting
- Travel 2-4 times per month to inspect buildings and ensure efficient operations
- Help suggest improvements and fixes to make our Property Management process run more efficiently
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule including weekends and holidays
- Firmly grasp local property regulation nuances
- A minimum of 7 years as a Residential Property Manager
- A minimum of 2 years of leasing experience
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience
- Working knowledge of building systems
- General knowledge of housing authority procedures
- Strong knowledge of fair housing rules and regulations
- Skilled user of collaboration tools such as G Suite, Slack, and property management software (preferably Yardi)
- Ability to support and/or manage the eviction process
- Ability to collaborate cross functionally
- Strong leadership and mentoring ability
- Self-starter is able to work independently with minimal supervision
- Strong time management skills with a keen attention to detail; organized, methodical approach to execution
- Advanced bookkeeping knowledge with ability to perform general accounting functions
What We Offer
Common truly values our employees and wants to do everything to ensure that our employees are not only happy and professionally fulfilled, but also that they have the opportunity to be healthy. Because of this, we are committed to providing a number of affordable and valuable health and wellness benefits for our employees such as:
- Paid vacation and sick time
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- FSA + HSA options
- Company-paid life insurance
- Company-paid STD/LTD
- Paid parental leave
- 401k plans
Additional benefits such as equity, paid holidays, commuter transit benefits, job training + development opportunities + a great wellness program are also available. And as always, we are regularly evaluating our offerings to ensure employees' needs are being met.
Common is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations, and ordinances.