Common is the nation’s leading residential brand offering convenience and community through coliving and traditional apartments. Our signature tech-enabled property management allows us to deliver unparalleled experiences across our growing portfolio of homes. Common is the preferred choice for both residents looking for a stress-free and all-inclusive living environment, and for real estate owners seeking reliable, above-market returns. Launched in October 2015, we now operate homes across the United States and receive over 15,000 new member applications per month.
It’s an exciting time to be part of Common’s team. We challenge ourselves every day not just to think about ways to make city living better, but to activate those ideas in meaningful ways. Our team is comprised of real estate professionals, designers, engineers, salespeople, marketers, member service representatives, and so much more. We work collaboratively, value self-startership, and embrace a “whatever it takes” mentality to ensure our work is done and done well. Common sits squarely at the intersection between technology and real estate, working every day to build quality residential solutions that bring positive change to the world’s rental housing crisis.
Common was founded by Brad Hargreaves and has raised $65MM in venture funding. Brad is a visionary leader with vast experience in the technology and service space, previously founding the education company General Assembly.
To follow the latest Common news, get to know our community of residents, and learn about what it’s like to work at Common, you can follow us on Instagram, Linkedin, and Twitter. To see more open roles and hear from Common employees check out our Careers Page.
About the Role
- Manage and oversee all maintenance aspects of our Los Angeles Area portfolio of properties
- Complete all resident and site work orders as directed
- Schedule and oversee third party trade partners, ensuring the safety, quality, and cleanliness of work performed
- Provide and maintain accurate record keeping of all maintenance requests
- Maintenance duties of our properties may include but is not limited to:
- Interior/exterior maintenance
- Care of the outside of the building including roof repairs, snow and leaf removal
- Light electrical, plumbing and HVAC work
- Complete “turnover” of vacant suites
- Appliance evaluation and repair
- Other carpentry/aesthetic work as needed
- Help suggest improvements and fixes to make our Property Management process run even smoother
- Conduct regular inspections of facilities and equipment to ensure proper operation
- Ad-hoc maintenance requests based on business needs
- 3+ years of residential maintenance experience working in a position maintaining large buildings including plumbing, mechanical, electrical, and HVAC
- Ability to work independently and utilize technology to communicate with the team
- Ability to identify areas for improvement, and not afraid to speak up when you have an idea
- Flexibility - this is not a typical 9-5 job; There will be times when on-call status may be required; You must be available to provide and maintain a flexible schedule
- Ability to represent yourself in a professional manner with members, visitors, and other employees
- Previous experience with the management of facilities staff and trade partners
- Some basic tools will be available for use, as well as specialist power tools, but having your own tools is desirable
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience
What We Offer
Common truly values our employees and wants to do everything to ensure that our employees are not only happy and professionally fulfilled, but also that they have the opportunity to be healthy. Because of this, we are committed to providing a number of affordable and valuable health and wellness benefits for our employees such as:
- Paid vacation and sick time
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- FSA + HSA options
- Company-paid life insurance
- Company-paid STD/LTD
- Paid parental leave
- 401k plans
Additional benefits such as equity, paid holidays, commuter transit benefits, job training + development opportunities + a great wellness program are also available. And as always, we are regularly evaluating our offerings to ensure employees' needs are being met.
Common is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations, and ordinances.