Common is the nation’s leading residential brand and operating platform that designs, leases, and manages multifamily properties that appeal to today's renters. Through smart design and tech-enabled property management, Common delivers exceptional experiences to thousands of residents in coliving, microunit, and traditional apartments in cities from coast to coast. Founded in October 2015, we are the preferred choice for renters looking for a stress-free apartment from a trusted brand, and for real estate owners seeking reliable, above-market returns.
We challenge ourselves every day not just to think about ways to make city living better, but to activate those ideas in meaningful ways. Our team is comprised of real estate professionals, designers, engineers, salespeople, marketers, member service representatives, and so much more. We work collaboratively, value self-startership, and embrace a “whatever it takes” mentality to ensure our work is done and done well. Common sits squarely at the intersection between technology and real estate, working every day to build quality residential solutions that bring positive change to the world’s rental housing crisis.
It’s an exciting time to be part of Common’s team. With over 17,500 units signed and under development and over $110 million in global venture capital investment, Common is expanding it’s reliable, renter-first property operations to 26 cities across the world.
To follow the latest Common news, get to know our community of residents, and learn about what it’s like to work at Common, you can follow us on Instagram, Linkedin, and Twitter. To see more open roles and hear from Common employees check out our Careers Page.
About the Role
An excellent maintenance superintendent must be reliable and have a great eye for detail. They must have technical skills and knowledge of various crafts such as carpentry, plumbing, etc. Leadership and knowledge of administrative tasks such as scheduling, job costing, and using property management software are essential as you will routinely be managing employees, mapping their work and supervising. This position performs technical and mechanical work that ensures the physical aspects of the buildings, grounds, amenities and common areas of the property meet the standards for cleanliness, appearance, safety, and overall functionality.
- Develop and implement standards for the cleanliness and overall appearance of the property
- Schedule and oversee tradesman work. Follow up with tradesman to ensure projects are completed to our standards, and the building was left in a good state for our residents
- Inspect facilities periodically to determine problems and necessary maintenance to building systems (heating, ventilation, etc.)
- Prepare weekly maintenance schedules, delegate, and complete resident work orders in a timely manner
- Hire, supervise, and train maintenance technicians
- Good physical condition and strength with a willingness to work overtime
- Assist with developing the budget for property specific repair, maintenance, and capital expense and ensure compliance
- Prepare apartments for new move-ins and complete “make-ready” process of vacant apartments
- Monitor inventory of materials and equipment
- Other ad-hoc responsibilities and projects from time to time, based on business needs
- Participate in the coordination and management of CapEx projects (e.g. renovations).
- Ensure adherence to quality standards and health and safety regulations
- Ability to be on-call during off-hours
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule including weekends and holidays
- Proven experience as a maintenance supervisor or similar role
- In-depth knowledge of building systems (HVAC, Electrical and Plumbing). You won't be required to fix every problem but a strong candidate will know how to diagnose problems and determine who is the appropriate person to call for maintenance.
- Knowledgeable and skilled in the safe use and maintenance of hand tools, power tools, and mechanical equipment.
- Comfortable with technology
- High level of professionalism.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of Fair Housing rules and regulations.
- Knowledge of health & safety practices and regulations
- Understanding of budgeting and performance management
- Excellent planning and leadership abilities
- High school diploma; Degree from a vocational school will be a plus
- Professional Certifications (e.g. CMRP, EPA/Universal, HVAC certified, etc.) are preferred
What We Offer
Common truly values our employees and wants to do everything to ensure that our employees are not only happy and professionally fulfilled, but also that they have the opportunity to be healthy. Because of this, we are committed to providing a number of affordable and valuable health and wellness benefits for our employees such as:
- Paid vacation and sick time
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- FSA + HSA options
- Company-paid life insurance
- Company-paid STD/LTD
- Paid parental leave
- 401k plans
Additional benefits such as equity, paid holidays, commuter transit benefits, job training + development opportunities + a great wellness program are also available. And as always, we are regularly evaluating our offerings to ensure employees' needs are being met.
Common is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations, and ordinances.