Common is the nation’s leading residential brand offering convenience and community through coliving and traditional apartments. Our signature tech-enabled property management allows us to deliver unparalleled experiences across 40+ buildings, 7 cities, and over 1,500 members. Common is the preferred choice for both residents looking for a stress-free and all-inclusive living environment, and for real estate owners seeking reliable, above-market returns. Launched in October 2015, we now operate homes in New York City, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Oakland, Seattle, and Washington, D.C., and receive over 15,000 new member applications per month.
It’s an exciting time to be part of Common’s team. We challenge ourselves every day not just to think about ways to make city living better, but to activate those ideas in meaningful ways. Our team is comprised of real estate professionals, designers, engineers, salespeople, marketers, client service representatives, and so much more. We work collaboratively, value self-startership, and embrace a “whatever it takes” mentality to ensure our work is done and done well. Common sits squarely at the intersection between technology and real estate, working every day to build quality residential solutions that bring positive change to the world’s rental housing crisis.
Common was founded by Brad Hargreaves and has raised $65MM in venture funding. Brad is a visionary leader with vast experience in the technology and service space, previously founding the education company General Assembly.
To follow the latest Common news, get to know our community of residents, and learn about what it’s like to work at Common, you can follow us on Instagram, Linkedin, and Twitter. To see more open roles and hear from Common employees check out our Careers Page.
About the Role
Common is seeking a Director of Real Estate to accelerate our expansion. As a Director of Real Estate on the Platform Team, you will oversee the creation of budget proposals for prospective clients, participate in pitch meetings and advance the sophistication of the underwriting desk.
- With the help of our Underwriting and Business Development team, generate and finalize client budget proposals that demonstrate the benefits of Common’s proprietary technology, use of centralization, and brand-driven marketing
- Act as a partner to our Business Development team in winning new deals. In presentations, you’ll leverage your operations and underwriting expertise to detail the benefits of Common’s approach
- Collaborate regularly with Common’s Operations team to measure performance, share insights, and update our underwriting standards
- Aggregate, analyze, and integrate client feedback to improve the efficacy of Common’s proposals
- Support the Product team in defining Common’s offerings and value proposition to clients
- Be a key voice in improving Common’s underwriting standards and data infrastructure
- Create and lead a weekly Property Management 101 curriculum for our Accounts team
- 8+ years of multifamily Operations and/or Asset Management experience
- Strong multifamily operating and underwriting expertise that includes deep experience with budgeting, monthly reporting, staffing, and property management software
- Skill working with industry datasets and analysis tools
- Has the necessary people-savvy to navigate external client meetings and internal technical discussions
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Bachelor’s degree required
What We Offer
Common truly values our employees and wants to do everything to ensure that our employees are not only happy and professionally fulfilled, but also that they have the opportunity to be healthy. Because of this, we are committed to providing a number of affordable and valuable health and wellness benefits for our employees such as:
- Paid vacation and sick time
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- FSA + HSA options
- Company-paid life insurance
- Company-paid STD/LTD
- Paid parental leave
- 401k plans
Additional benefits such as equity, paid holidays, commuter transit benefits, job training + development opportunities + a great wellness program are also available. And as always, we are regularly evaluating our offerings to ensure employees' needs are being met.
Common is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations, and ordinances.