Common is the nation’s leading residential brand offering convenience and community through coliving and traditional apartments. Our signature tech-enabled property management allows us to deliver unparalleled experiences across 40+ buildings, 8 cities, and over 1,500 members. Common is the preferred choice for both residents looking for a stress-free and all-inclusive living environment, and for real estate owners seeking reliable, above-market returns. Launched in October 2015, we now operate homes in New York City, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Oakland, Seattle, Philadelphia and Washington, D.C. and receive over 15,000 new member applications per month.
It’s an exciting time to be part of Common’s team. We challenge ourselves every day not just to think about ways to make city living better, but to activate those ideas in meaningful ways. Our team is comprised of real estate professionals, designers, engineers, salespeople, marketers, client service representatives, and so much more. We work collaboratively, value self-startership, and embrace a “whatever it takes” mentality to ensure our work is done and done well. Common sits squarely at the intersection between technology and real estate, working every day to build quality residential solutions that bring positive change to the world’s rental housing crisis.
Common was founded by Brad Hargreaves and has raised $65MM in venture funding. Brad is a visionary leader with vast experience in the technology and service space, previously founding the education company General Assembly.
To follow the latest Common news, get to know our community of residents, and learn about what it’s like to work at Common, you can follow us on Instagram, Linkedin, and Twitter. To see more open roles and hear from Common employees check out our Careers Page.
About the Role
As a Maintenance Technician, you will perform general maintenance, cleaning, and repair for functions at the building. Maintenance Technicians perform maintenance functions in the community, including rental units, residential common areas, grounds and parking lots. This role requires a highly diversified base of knowledge and skills needed to maintain the property. Technicians will deliver excellent experiences for our residents. You will be part of a team reporting to the Maintenance Superintendent.
- Complete all resident and site work orders as directed by Maintenance Superintendent
- Complete and submit all required paperwork in an accurate and timely manner
- Perform special assignments as needed, or as requested by the Property Management Team
- Conduct general upkeep procedures (e.g. landscaping) and other tasks as assigned (painting, carpentry, etc.)
- Represent yourself in a professional manner with members, visitors, and other employees
- Ability to be on-call during off-hours
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule including weekends and holidays.
- Proven experience as a maintenance technician
- Good physical condition and strength with a willingness to work overtime
- Employees must be knowledgeable and skilled in the safe use and maintenance of hand tools, power tools, user-moved aids, mechanical equipment and measuring devices
- Demonstrated skills relevant to maintenance work including but not limited to plumbing, HVAC + electrical work
- High School diploma, GED or related experience and/or training
- Professional Certifications (e.g. CMRP, EPA/Universal, HVAC certified, etc.) are preferred.
What We Offer
Common truly values our employees and wants to do everything to ensure that our employees are not only happy and professionally fulfilled, but also that they have the opportunity to be healthy. Because of this, we are committed to providing a number of affordable and valuable health and wellness benefits for our employees such as:
- Paid vacation and sick time
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- FSA + HSA options
- Company-paid life insurance
- Company-paid STD/LTD
- Paid parental leave
- 401k plans
Additional benefits such as equity, paid holidays, commuter transit benefits, job training + development opportunities + a great wellness program are also available. And as always, we are regularly evaluating our offerings to ensure employees' needs are being met.
Common is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations, and ordinances.