Common is the nation’s leading residential brand offering convenience and community through coliving and traditional apartments. Our signature tech-enabled property management allows us to deliver unparalleled experiences across 40+ buildings, 7 cities, and over 1,500 members. Common is the preferred choice for both residents looking for a stress-free and all-inclusive living environment, and for real estate owners seeking reliable, above-market returns. Launched in October 2015, we now operate homes in New York City, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Oakland, Seattle, and Washington, D.C., and receive over 15,000 new member applications per month.
It’s an exciting time to be part of Common’s team. We challenge ourselves every day not just to think about ways to make city living better, but to activate those ideas in meaningful ways. Our team is comprised of real estate professionals, designers, engineers, salespeople, marketers, client service representatives, and so much more. We work collaboratively, value self-startership, and embrace a “whatever it takes” mentality to ensure our work is done and done well. Common sits squarely at the intersection between technology and real estate, working every day to build quality residential solutions that bring positive change to the world’s rental housing crisis.
Common was founded by Brad Hargreaves and has raised $65MM in venture funding. Brad is a visionary leader with vast experience in the technology and service space, previously founding the education company General Assembly.
To follow the latest Common news, get to know our community of residents, and learn about what it’s like to work at Common, you can follow us on Instagram, Linkedin, and Twitter. To see more open roles and hear from Common employees check out our Careers Page.
About the Role
Common is seeking a hard-working, motivated individual to join our growing Finance team. As the Property Accounting Manager, you will play a key role in building out the processes and procedures around accounting and financial reporting for Common’s portfolio of homes. The Property Accounting Manager will be responsible for managing a team of regional property accountants, as well as overseeing the hiring of additional property accountants as Common continues to grow.
This position will report to the VP of Finance and will work closely with Operations + Corporate Accounting to produce monthly financial reporting packages for Common’s Real Estate Partners.
- Manage and oversee the daily operations of a team of regional property accountants
- Ensure the team is meeting accounting and reporting close deadlines for all of Common’s managed properties (varies based on ownership)
- Work cross-functionally to ensure the unique terms of each management agreement are appropriately reflected in the financial reporting
- Review and sign off on completed reporting packages, supporting workpapers, reconciliations, etc.
- Establish and enforce proper accounting methods, policies, and procedures for Common’s managed properties
- Maintain an accurate and auditable set of books and records so Operations can pull timely, precise reporting
- Identify areas of inefficiency and make recommendations for process improvement
- Bachelor’s Degree in finance or accounting
- 10+ years of relevant experience in residential property accounting
- Experience working directly with clients and the ability to confidently discuss cash flows, bad debt, and other operational and financial metrics
- Ability to work effectively under pressure, thrive in a fast-paced environment, manage time, and prioritize multiple tasks and projects to meet deadlines
- A “roll up your sleeves and get the job done” mentality while simultaneously handling the more complicated aspects of property accounting
- Management experience required
- Advanced knowledge of Yardi required, experience with Netsuite a plus
- Comfortable working cross-departmentally to get things done
- Emotional Intelligence
- Scrappy and resourceful problem solver
- A team player with a “can-do” attitude
What We Offer
Common truly values our employees and wants to do everything to ensure that our employees are not only happy and professionally fulfilled, but also that they have the opportunity to be healthy. Because of this, we are committed to providing a number of affordable and valuable health and wellness benefits for our employees such as:
- Paid vacation and sick time
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- FSA + HSA options
- Company-paid life insurance
- Company-paid STD/LTD
- Paid parental leave
- 401k plans
Additional benefits such as equity, paid holidays, commuter transit benefits, job training + development opportunities + a great wellness program are also available. And as always, we are regularly evaluating our offerings to ensure employees' needs are being met.
Common is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations, and ordinances.