Common is the nation’s leading residential brand offering convenience and community through coliving and traditional apartments. Our signature tech-enabled property management allows us to deliver unparalleled experiences across 40+ buildings, 6 cities, and over 1,500 members. Common is the preferred choice for both residents looking for a stress-free and all-inclusive living environment, and for real estate owners seeking reliable, above-market returns. Launched in October 2015, we now operate homes in New York City, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Oakland, Seattle, and Washington, D.C. and receive over 15,000 new member applications per month.
It’s an exciting time to be part of Common’s team. We challenge ourselves every day not just to think about ways to make city living better, but to activate those ideas in meaningful ways. Our team is comprised of real estate professionals, designers, engineers, salespeople, marketers, client service representatives, and so much more. We work collaboratively, value self-startership, and embrace a “whatever it takes” mentality to ensure our work is done and done well. Common sits squarely at the intersection between technology and real estate, working every day to build quality residential solutions that bring positive change to the world’s rental housing crisis.
Common was founded by Brad Hargreaves and has raised $65MM in venture funding. Brad is a visionary leader with vast experience in the technology and service space, previously founding the education company General Assembly.
To follow the latest Common news, get to know our community of residents, and learn about what it’s like to work at Common, you can follow us on Instagram, Linkedin, and Twitter. To see more open roles and hear from Common employees check out our Careers Page.
About the Role
Common is seeking a Junior Designer - Interiors to join our Design Studio to create homes for shared living. The position will require the candidate to provide architectural services to our partners through concept mood boards, construction drawings, technical specifications, and sketch renderings. The ideal candidate will be comfortable in an evolving, fast-paced startup environment. This is an opportunity for a talented designer to help conceptualize and execute better housing across multiple cities at a large scale.
- To assist the Interior Design team with the development of graphic standards and business processes from scratch
- Production and management of deliverables: interior design drawing sets, concept mood boards, material studies, specifications, and construction administration
- Aids in the production of finishes and fixture selections
- Support the Interior Designers by providing project account management between owners, architects, and contractors with excellent customer service
- Assist the Interior Design team with multiple aspects of client, team and project coordination, including architectural documentation, 3-D modeling and renderings
- Provide support in the production of drawing sets, brand specifications and design development tasks
- Work closely with the Designers to ensure project design intent is on brand and follows architectural best practices
- Design and produce compelling design concept mood boards in collaboration with the FF&E Specialist team to set one comprehensive vision
- Understanding of space planning, and phases of design drawings, ability to support the Interior Architecture team with all phases of production, from concept to construction administration.
- Travel as required for several days at a time, approximately every 6 weeks
- Other duties and ad hoc projects from time to time and based on business needs
- Sharp eye for interior design and finishes required
- Experience and familiarity with finishes, materials and fixtures
- Candidate must be detail-oriented and comfortable supporting ideas with both qualitative and analytical reasoning
- Candidates must be very organized and be able to multitask across a large number of projects
- Candidates must have a talent for customer service and client management
- Candidate must be a continuous learner who enjoys researching, testing and implementing best practices
- Quick adaptation to an expanding variety of platforms, apps, and workflows in a fast-paced startup environment required
- Candidate must be a direct and proactive communicator who can be independent but ask questions when needed
- Bachelor of Architecture or Master's Degree in Architecture or Bachelor of Arts (BA) or Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) required.
- Minimum 1 year of professional experience in an architecture/interior design firm required
- Proficiency in Rhino, Excel, Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign is required
- Revit experience preferred
- Proficiency in Rhino, Excel, Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign is required.
- Revit experience is preferred
What We Offer
Common truly values our employees and wants to do everything to ensure that our employees are not only happy and professionally fulfilled, but also that they have the opportunity to be healthy. Because of this, we are committed to providing a number of affordable and valuable health and wellness benefits for our employees such as paid vacation and sick time, medical, dental and vision insurance, Company paid life insurance, Company paid STD/LTD, FSA + HSA options, commuter transit benefits, paid parental leave and a 401K. Additional benefits such as equity, paid holidays, weekly team lunches + happy hours, a fully stocked kitchen, job training + development opportunities + a great wellness program are also available. And as always, we are regularly evaluating our offerings to ensure employees' needs are being met.
We are committed to affirmatively providing equal opportunity to all associates and qualified applicants without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, legally protected physical or mental disability, military or veteran status or any other basis protected under applicable federal or state law.