Common is the nation’s leading residential brand offering convenience and community through co-living and traditional apartments. Our signature approach to end-to-end property management and technology offerings allows us to deliver unparalleled experiences across 30 buildings and 6 cities. Common is the preferred choice for both residents looking for a stress-free and all-inclusive living environment, and for real estate owners seeking reliable, above-market returns. Launched in October 2015, we now operate homes in New York City, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Oakland, Seattle, and Washington, D.C. and receive over 4,000 new member applications per week.
It’s an exciting time to be part of Common’s team. We challenge ourselves every day not just to think about ways to make city living better, but to activate those ideas in meaningful ways. Our team is comprised of real estate professionals, designers, engineers, salespeople, marketers, client service representatives, and so much more. We work collaboratively, value self-starters, and embrace a “whatever it takes” mentality to ensure our work is done and done well.
Common was founded by General Assembly co-founder Brad Hargreaves and has raised over $65MM in venture funding.
About the Role
We are looking for a solution-oriented, customer-focused leader for our Property Management team. This individual will be responsible for the upkeep and maintenance of our properties, housekeeping services, vendor and strategic partner relationship management, and developing the operational strategy to manage a fast-growing portfolio of buildings. This role will also be responsible for the effective onboarding of our properties into our portfolio. Reporting to the VP of Operations, this is a critical leadership role at our company and will be a thought leader to support the rest of the organization.
- Oversee the management of a nation-wide team across our portfolio of properties, with the goal of providing amazing customer service to our members and real estate partners
- Hire, support, and provide performance feedback to a management team overseeing a diverse group of employees: regional managers, implementation managers, maintenance technicians, coordinators, porters, building administrators, and housekeepers
- Oversee strategy of staffing and budgeting across property services and implementation teams
- Manage and reiterate on a scalable and repeatable process for opening buildings of varying asset types in many geographic regions
- Manage efficacy, efficiency, and speed of home openings as well as the internal and external communication around these assets
- Continuously focused on improving efficiency, effectiveness, and scalability
- Project manage rollouts of new technology tools/systems, processes, and services
- Serve as escalation point for building owners and strategic partners
- Work with other operational leaders and the executive team to prioritize initiatives and contributes valuable insights that shape the longer-term direction of the company
- 10+ years of experience in property management or related operational leadership roles
- Technical understanding of building systems and maintenance requirements
- Passion for building teams and relentlessly optimistic
- Project management skills to identify problems, scope solutions and take action on areas for improvement
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to break down and explain complex concepts
- Demonstrated urgency to make changes and tenacity to overcome barriers
- Experience managing vendors, contractors, outsourced service providers
- Experience in Real Estate, Property Management or Hospitality
- Ability to travel to remote markets
- Emotional Intelligence
- Scrappy and resourceful problem solver
- A team player with a “can-do” attitude
- BA/BS Degree
What We Offer
Common truly values our employees and wants to do everything to ensure that our employees are not only happy and professionally fulfilled, but also that they have the opportunity to be healthy. Because of this, we are committed to providing a number of affordable and valuable health and wellness benefits for our employees such as paid vacation and sick time, medical, dental and vision insurance, Company paid life insurance, Company paid STD/LTD Insurance, FSA + HSA options, commuter transit benefits, generous paid parental leave (up to 16 weeks!) and a 401K. Additional benefits such as Company equity, paid holidays, weekly team lunches + weekly happy hours, a fully stocked kitchen, flexible working hours, job training + development opportunities + a great wellness program are also available. And as always, we are regularly evaluating our offerings to ensure employees needs are being met.
We are committed to affirmatively providing equal opportunity to all associates and qualified applicants without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, legally protected physical or mental disability, military or veteran status or any other basis protected under applicable federal or state law.