Common is the nation’s leading residential brand offering convenience and community through coliving and traditional apartments. Our signature tech-enabled property management allows us to deliver unparalleled experiences across 40+ buildings, 6 cities, and over 1,500 members. Common is the preferred choice for both residents looking for a stress-free and all-inclusive living environment, and for real estate owners seeking reliable, above-market returns. Launched in October 2015, we now operate homes in New York City, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Oakland, Seattle, and Washington, D.C. and receive over 15,000 new member applications per month.
It’s an exciting time to be part of Common’s team. We challenge ourselves every day not just to think about ways to make city living better, but to activate those ideas in meaningful ways. Our team is comprised of real estate professionals, designers, engineers, salespeople, marketers, client service representatives, and so much more. We work collaboratively, value self-startership, and embrace a “whatever it takes” mentality to ensure our work is done and done well. Common sits squarely at the intersection between technology and real estate, working every day to build quality residential solutions that bring positive change to the world’s rental housing crisis.
Common was founded by Brad Hargreaves and has raised $65MM in venture funding. Brad is a visionary leader with vast experience in the technology and service space, previously founding the education company General Assembly.
To follow the latest Common news, get to know our community of residents, and learn about what it’s like to work at Common, you can follow us on Instagram, Linkedin, and Twitter. To see more open roles and hear from Common employees check out our Careers Page.
About the Role
Common is seeking a BIM Specialist to join our Design Team, Common Studio. We are looking for an entrepreneurial problem solver and BIM expert to innovate, produce, and contribute at a project and studio level on areas around process and product optimizations, leveraging technology in design and the production of materials for use at scale. The position will require the candidate to look at all phases of the project life cycle and to optimize the design studio by leveraging design and technology. The ideal candidate is eager to roll up their sleeves and create not only the solution but also the content to turn that into reality. This is an opportunity for an outside the box thinker with a reputation as a technologist within the field of architecture, to push our studio forward. This role will report to the Senior Architectural Optimization Specialist.
This is an excellent opportunity to join a rapidly growing start-up at an early stage. Common is at the forefront of coliving innovation and design, and this candidate will make their mark on the space. The ideal candidate is someone who is detail oriented, and eager to get stuck in, and have an impact on studio in a period of high growth.
- Review all phases of the design lifecycle and innovate / optimize process by leveraging technology in design, adding additional capability to the team by sourcing new design solutions and technologies
- Coordinate with all phases of the design lifecycle and problem solve existing inefficiencies via technology, automation and process optimization
- Elevate the quality of work by building out our BIM library of parts, standards, and specifications
- Coach and support project teams and individuals with BIM development
- Establish documented processes, standards, procedures and workflows
- Manage project templates, model management and content development
- Research, source and build a digital library of pre-approved resources, products, and material specifications for use in design and maintain the accuracy of data stored
- Analyze and interpret open home performance data to provide data and feedback to architects for reference in design work, and maintain the accuracy of data
- Assist in the coordination of comprehensive documents including presentations and construction documents
- You will be required to deliver a high quality of work at all times, with particular attention to presentation
- You are expected to work autonomously to see and solve problems, and get the work done, but ask for help when needed
- You will be asked to lead projects and initiatives and work inter-departmentally with peers
- Provide regular updates to management and peers on the status of your projects
- Additional projects and responsibilities from time to time, based on business needs
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Architecture or related field
- 3+ years of professional experience in the field of architecture
- 2+ years professional coordination experience with BIM-related workflows throughout all phases of the design process
- 1+ years of professional Python development a plus
- Familiarity with the Revit API a plus
- Expert skills in Revit, Rhino, Autocad, Excel, Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign
- Experience with interior architecture, millwork, specifications, facilities or residential projects preferred
- Ability to multitask, track, and coordinate several projects simultaneously
- A professional reputation for being a problem solver, and automation fanatic
- Must be detail-oriented and comfortable supporting ideas with both qualitative and analytical reasoning
- Direct and proactive communicator who can be independent but ask questions when needed
- Portfolio showcasing skill and experience with optimization of design through technology required
- This role (may) require travel from time to time
What We Offer
Common truly values our employees and wants to do everything to ensure that our employees are not only happy and professionally fulfilled, but also that they have the opportunity to be healthy. Because of this, we are committed to providing a number of affordable and valuable health and wellness benefits for our employees such as paid vacation and sick time, medical, dental and vision insurance, Company paid life insurance, Company paid STD/LTD, FSA + HSA options, commuter transit benefits, paid parental leave and a 401K. Additional benefits such as equity, paid holidays, weekly team lunches + happy hours, a fully stocked kitchen, job training + development opportunities + a great wellness program are also available. And as always, we are regularly evaluating our offerings to ensure employees' needs are being met.
We are committed to affirmatively providing equal opportunity to all associates and qualified applicants without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, legally protected physical or mental disability, military or veteran status or any other basis protected under applicable federal or state law.