Common is the nation’s leading residential brand offering convenience and community through co-living and traditional apartments. Our signature approach to end-to-end property management and technology offerings allows us to deliver unparalleled experiences across 30 buildings and 6 cities. Common is the preferred choice for both residents looking for a stress-free and convenient living environment, and for real estate owners seeking reliable, above-market returns. Launched in October 2015, we now operate buildings in New York City, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Oakland, Seattle, and Washington, D.C. and receive over 4,000 new member applications per week.
It’s an exciting time to be part of Common’s team. We challenge ourselves every day not just to think about ways to make city living better, but to activate those ideas in meaningful ways. Our team is comprised of real estate professionals, designers, engineers, salespeople, marketers, client service representatives, and so much more. We work collaboratively, value self-starters, and embrace a “whatever it takes” mentality to ensure our work is done and done well.
Common was founded by General Assembly co-founder Brad Hargreaves and has raised over $65MM in venture funding.
About the Role
Common is seeking an Architectural Optimization Specialist to join our Design Team, Common Studio. We are looking for an entrepreneurial problem solver and BIM expert to innovate, produce, and contribute at a project and studio level on areas around process and product optimizations, leveraging technology in design and the production of materials for use at scale. The position will require the candidate to look at all phases of the project life cycle and to optimize the design studio by leveraging design and technology. The ideal candidate is eager to roll up their sleeves and create not only the solution but also the content to turn that into reality. This is an opportunity for an outside the box thinker with a reputation as a technologist within the field of architecture, to push our studio forward. This role will report to the Senior Architect.
This is an excellent opportunity to join a rapidly growing start-up at an early stage. Common is at the forefront of coliving innovation and design, and this candidate will make their mark on the space. The ideal candidate is someone who is detail oriented, and eager to get stuck in, and have an impact on studio in a period of high growth.
- Review all phases of the design lifecycle and innovate / optimize process by leveraging technology in design, adding additional capability to the team by sourcing new design solutions and technologies
- Review all phases of the design lifecycle and problem solve existing inefficiencies via technology, automation and process
- Elevate the quality of work by building out our BIM library of parts and specifications
- Research, source and build a digital library of pre-approved resources, products, and material specifications for use in design and maintain the accuracy of data stored
- Analyze and interpret open home performance data to provide data and feedback to architects for reference in design work, and maintain the accuracy of data
- Assist in the coordination of comprehensive documents including presentations and construction documents.
- You will be required to deliver a high quality of work at all times, with particular attention to presentation
- You are expected to work autonomously to see and solve problems, and get the work done, but ask for help when needed.
- You will be asked to lead projects and initiatives and work inter-departmentally with peers.
- Provide regular updates to management and peers on status of your projects
- This role will involve mentoring and coaching peers on technical knowledge and design.
- Additional projects and responsibilities from time to time, based on business needs.
Qualifications + Requirements
- Bachelor’s Degree in Architecture or equivalent experience
- 3+ Years of experience in the field of architecture
- Experience with interior architecture, millwork, specifications, facilities or residential projects preferred
- Expert skills in Revit, Rhino, Autocad, Excel, Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign
- A professional reputation for being a problem solver, and automation fanatic
- Must be detail-oriented and comfortable supporting ideas with both qualitative and analytical reasoning
- A continuous learner who enjoys researching, testing and implementing best practices
- Direct and proactive communicator who can be independent but ask questions when needed
- Portfolio showcasing design skill and experience with optimization of design through technology required
- This role (may) require travel from time to time
What We Offer
Common truly values our employees and wants to do everything to ensure that our employees are not only happy and professionally fulfilled, but also that they have the opportunity to be healthy. Because of this, we are committed to providing a number of affordable and valuable health and wellness benefits for our employees such as paid vacation and sick time, medical, dental and vision insurance, Company paid life insurance, Company paid STD/LTD Insurance, FSA + HSA options, commuter transit benefits, generous paid parental leave (up to 16 weeks!) and a 401K. Additional benefits such as Company equity, paid holidays, weekly team lunches + weekly happy hours, a fully stocked kitchen, flexible working hours, job training + development opportunities + a great wellness program are also available. And as always, we are regularly evaluating our offerings to ensure employees needs are being met.
We are committed to affirmatively providing equal opportunity to all associates and qualified applicants without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, legally protected physical or mental disability, military or veteran status or any other basis protected under applicable federal or state law.