Common is the nation’s leading residential brand offering convenience and community through co-living and traditional apartments. Our signature approach to end-to-end property management and technology offerings allows us to deliver unparalleled experiences across 30 buildings and 6 cities. Common is the preferred choice for both residents looking for a stress-free and convenient living environment, and for real estate owners seeking reliable, above-market returns. Launched in October 2015, we now operate buildings in New York City, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Oakland, Seattle, and Washington, D.C. and receive over 4,000 new member applications per week.
It’s an exciting time to be part of Common’s team. We challenge ourselves every day not just to think about ways to make city living better, but to activate those ideas in meaningful ways. Our team is comprised of real estate professionals, designers, engineers, salespeople, marketers, client service representatives, and so much more. We work collaboratively, value self-starters, and embrace a “whatever it takes” mentality to ensure our work is done and done well.
Common was founded by General Assembly co-founder Brad Hargreaves and has raised over $65MM in venture funding.
About the Role
Common is looking for an experienced Property Manager to look after three buildings in Hampton, VA. You will work closely with HQ to deliver great experiences for our members throughout their stay. The role is extremely varied, and in addition to looking after building systems (HVAC, plumbing, electrical) you will be required to troubleshoot problems unique to our business model (e.g providing feedback to our centralized call center about lead quality). Successful candidates will be extremely comfortable interacting with our members on a regular basis and take pride in delivering excellent service. This role reports to our VP of Platform.
- Manage and oversee all aspects of our Hampton Roads portfolio of properties
- Ensure property technicians are prioritizing and managing maintenance requests
- Ongoing management of a staff of Maintenance Superintendents, Maintenance Technicians, and Leasing Agents as well as an army of third party trade partners dedicated to keeping these buildings in top condition
- Implement preventative maintenance plan to ensure all building systems are well maintained and conform to building code and other regulations
- Oversee service supervisors who troubleshoot, analyze, and perform routine maintenance on facilities and equipment
- Conduct regular inspections of facilities and equipment to ensure proper operation
- Schedule, oversee, and assist assigned contractors ensuring the safety, quality, and cleanliness of work performed
- Schedule and supervise contractors at the property
- Provide and maintain accurate record-keeping of all maintenance requests
- Maintain and manage all documents to ensure we are compliant with local law
- Manage common stock and assets, moving them between buildings where necessary
- Help suggest improvements and fixes to make our property management process run even smoother
- Other ad hoc projects from time to time
- 5 - 7 years of residential maintenance experience working in a position maintaining medium to large buildings including plumbing, mechanical, electrical, and HVAC
- General knowledge of Section 8 procedures
- Good understanding of the nuances of local property regulations
- Working knowledge of HVAC, plumbing and electrical systems. You won't be required to fix every problem but you will need to be able to diagnose them and know who to call
- Valid driver’s license and vehicle
- Comfortable with technology - you use software applications to manage your time and interact with others. You are comfortable using software in a property management context
- Experience with leasing and taking over a building
- Previous roles should have included some management of facility staff
- Scrappy and resourceful problem solver
- A team player with a “can do” attitude
What We Offer
Common truly values our employees and wants to do everything to ensure that our employees are not only happy and professionally fulfilled, but also that they have the opportunity to be healthy. Because of this, we are committed to providing a number of affordable and valuable health and wellness benefits for our employees such as paid vacation and sick time, medical, dental and vision insurance, Company paid life insurance, Company paid STD/LTD Insurance, FSA + HSA options, commuter transit benefits, paid parental leave and a 401K. Additional benefits such as Company equity paid holidays, weekly team lunches, job training + development opportunities + a great wellness program are also available. And as always, we are regularly evaluating our offerings to ensure employees' needs are being met.
We are committed to affirmatively providing equal opportunity to all associates and qualified applicants without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, legally protected physical or mental disability, military or veteran status or any other basis protected under applicable federal or state law.