It’s an exciting time to be part of Common’s team. We challenge ourselves every day not just to think about ways to make city living better, but to activate on those ideas in meaningful ways. Our team is comprised of real estate professionals, designers, engineers, salespeople, marketers, client service representatives, and so much more. We work collaboratively, value self-startership, and embrace a “whatever it takes” mentality to ensure our work is done and done well.
Common was founded by General Assembly co-founder Brad Hargreaves and has raised over $65MM in venture funding.
About the Role
Common's unique business model seeks to provide members access to flexible housing in numerous cities. We partner with local real estate developers and investors by seeking out residential developments in up-and-coming neighborhoods while providing a compelling value proposition: a steady stream of income and the upside of property appreciation without the hassles of property management, leasing, and tenant relations. This structure has proven to be an extremely attractive investment opportunity, as hundreds of investors and developers are now pursuing real estate acquisitions and development opportunities with Common in mind.
Common is seeking a Director of Real Estate to build a platform for assessing, underwriting, and presenting real estate investment opportunities across North America and Europe to select investors. The Director of Real Estate will be responsible for managing a pipeline of existing investment opportunities from within Common’s real estate pipeline as well as sourcing new investment opportunities. They will liaise directly with capital partners to build relationships and understand their investment criteria in an investor relations and client management capacity. This role will report directly to our Senior Director of Real Estate, who is based in New York City.
- Launch a new investor relation and client management function within Common’s real estate team with a focus on assessing and sourcing real estate investment opportunities and presenting them to select real estate capital partners
- Manage and qualify a pipeline of investments that will be sourced from Common’s existing developer network and broker relationships
- Build relationships with real estate capital sources interested in investing in properties operated by Common
- Analyze new investment opportunities and prepare a financial analysis on the viability of each transaction, incorporating a variety of capital, financing, and management structures
- Develop an in-depth understanding of cities and underlying sub-markets by running financial analysis and broader market analysis
- Prepare internal and external presentation materials and documents (e.g., investment memorandums, business plans, pipeline summaries)
- You are hungry to build a new team and function within a fast-paced company that is developing a brand, and a new asset class in real estate
- You have 5+ years of institutional experience in real estate acquisitions or real estate investment
- You can build financial models and investment decision-making protocol for real estate acquisitions
- You are comfortable working in a fast-paced, dynamic startup environment without well-worn paths or established protocols
- BA/BS Degree
We are committed to affirmatively providing equal opportunity to all associates and qualified applicants without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, legally protected physical or mental disability, military or veteran status or any other basis protected under applicable federal or state law.