Common is the nation’s leading residential brand offering convenience and community through coliving and traditional apartments. Our signature approach to end-to-end property management and technology offerings allows us to deliver unparalleled experiences across 35 buildings, 6 cities, and over 1,000 members. Common is the preferred choice for both residents looking for a stress-free and all-inclusive living environment, and for real estate owners seeking reliable, above-market returns. Launched in October 2015, we now operate homes in New York City, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Oakland, Seattle, and Washington, D.C. and receive over 4,000 new member applications per week.
It’s an exciting time to be part of Common’s team. We challenge ourselves every day not just to think about ways to make city living better, but to activate on those ideas in meaningful ways. Our team is comprised of real estate professionals, designers, engineers, salespeople, marketers, client service representatives, and so much more. We work collaboratively, value self-startership, and embrace a “whatever it takes” mentality to ensure our work is done and done well. Common sits squarely at the intersection between technology and real estate, working everyday to build quality residential solutions that bring positive change to the world’s rental housing crisis.
Common was founded by Brad Hargreaves and has raised over $65MM in venture funding. Brad is a visionary leader with vast experience in the technology and service space, previously founding the education company General Assembly.
To follow the latest Common news, get to know our community of residents, and learn about what it’s like to work at Common, you can follow us on Instagram, Linkedin, and Twitter. To see more open roles and hear from Common employees check out our Careers Page.
You’ll work closely with a small cross-functional team of engineers to design, develop, and maintain a number of different products or components using Common’s web stack: Ruby on Rails, ES8, React / React Native, Next.js, and SASS. You should be passionate about problem solving, learning, teaching, and programming elegant solutions. We empower our engineers to drive the direction and implementation of projects and this role will have an important say in how we develop our front-end. We aim to write thoughtful, well-tested, readable, and maintainable code. Our team relies heavily on our tests so that we can continuously deploy code. Something you build today might be in production, today. You will influence architecture, decisions, bring new methodologies to our development process, and have an important say in how we build technology here at Common.
- 6+ years of software engineering experience
- BS/MS in computer science or equivalent experience
- The desire to build beautiful, fast, and intuitive cross device applications
- Experience working with React
- Passion for front-end development
- Value code quality and maintainability
- High emotional intelligence, empathy, self-awareness, and optimism
- Experience writing unit, integration, and end-to-end tests
- Understanding of programming patterns and software development principles
- A personality that encourages strong communication, collaboration, and relationship building
- An entrepreneurial spirit and a whatever it takes attitude
- A passion for Common and our mission to improve the way people live
- Worked in an industry with substantial complexity and regulation (e.g. health, legal, accounting, banking, etc.)
- Experience leading projects or teams
- Prior experience with GraphQL
- Contribute to open source
- Worked in a continuous deployment environment before
- Experience with TypeScript
We are committed to affirmatively providing equal opportunity to all associates and qualified applicants without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, legally protected physical or mental disability, military or veteran status or any other basis protected under applicable federal or state law.