Common’s hands-on, end-to-end property management and technology offering allows us to deliver unparalleled services that address the actual needs of today’s renter while providing significantly above-market returns for our real estate partners. This makes us the preferred choice for city-dwelling adults looking for a stress-free and all-inclusive living environment.
It’s an exciting time to be part of Common’s team. We challenge ourselves every day not just to think about ways to make city living better, but to activate on those ideas in meaningful ways. Our team is comprised of real estate professionals, designers, engineers, salespeople, marketers, client service representatives, and so much more. We work collaboratively, value self-startership, and embrace a “whatever it takes” mentality to ensure our work is done and done well.
Common was founded by General Assembly co-founder Brad Hargreaves and has raised over $65MM in venture funding.
Commons engineering teams are made up of software engineers and product managers who are responsible for building complex business products used by over a hundred internal employees, hundreds of Common members living in our homes, and our real estate partners. We are on a mission to create software that delights our members through community and access to services that enrich the living experience. In addition to the technology we provide our members, we are also building technology to scale property management, operations, and logistics for our internal stakeholders. Our digital product charter is to build software to support the next 100,000 members living in Common.
As an engineering manager, there’s no limit to the impact you can have to the business or digital product team. You’ll lead one or more cross-functional teams comprised of software engineers and product managers to design, develop, and maintain several different products or components. As a manager your team will look to you to develop their careers, provide technical direction, mentorship, create / iterate on processes, and provide honest feedback. We empower our engineers to drive the direction and implementation of projects and your job will play an important role in defining goals, fostering culture, removing roadblocks, and executing efficiently.
- A technical background and are able to contribute to development and design decisions
- 3+ years managing and scaling 6-12 person teams with diverse backgrounds
- A history of planning, prioritizing, and executing projects to completion
- Expertise leading projects in complex business domains
- Ability to maintain a balance between building high quality sustainable software and shipping quickly
- Experience managing projects and setting goals
- High emotional intelligence, empathy, self-awareness, and optimism
- Experience guiding a team through their career development
- A personality that encourages strong communication, collaboration, and relationship building
- An entrepreneurial spirit and a whatever it takes attitude
- A passion for Common and our mission to improve the way people live
Bonus Points If You Have
- Worked in an industry with substantial complexity and regulation (e.g. health, legal, accounting, banking, etc.)
- BS/MS in computer science or equivalent experience
- Proficiency in object-oriented programming, development patterns, and software development principles
- Experience architecting complex applications