This is us in a nutshell:
- We are singularly focused on providing all the tools and building blocks our customers need to deliver outstanding online shopping experiences and innovation across all digital touchpoints.
- In 2013 we introduced a modular, API-first cloud-native commerce platform, pioneering the headless commerce space and enabling us to build the foundation to change our whole industry for the better and re-invent ecommerce.
- Our international expansion has reached Europe, the US and Asia Pacific. In September 2021, we announced our $140m series C funding round led by global tech investor Accel, alongside existing investors Insight Partners and REWE Group, which has accelerated our global growth and elevated us to unicorn status. We are now valued at $1.9 billion, named a Leader in the 2021 Gartner® Magic Quadrant™ for Digital Commerce for the second year in a row.
We are looking for support to improve our Merchant Center. The Hornet Team is building the most exciting, usable, and advanced UI for managing B2B eCommerce in the market.
Our Backend Engineers are part of vertical teams working closely with Product Managers, UX/UI Designers and Frontend Engineers. You will not only work within the respective domain but also contribute to the core of our product while engaging with our Open Source libraries where needed.
Even more important than your technical qualifications: You want to join and learn from a skilled, agile team that believes in having fun, giving back to the community, and collaborating in an open, supportive environment! Sounds good? Here's a snapshot of our tech stack!
- Join one of our cross-disciplinary teams to work on one of our product’s core domains. There is a lot of exciting work ahead such as improving our Merchant Center, adoption of our Design System, homogenising our testing strategy or extracting common components to be open sourced in our User Interface Kit, Application Kit or Community Kit.
- Work collaboratively with a high degree of autonomy in a group of international peers on a rapidly growing product using cutting edge technologies.
- Build solutions using a modern tech stack with the main components being Express, React, Apollo GraphQL, Jest, Cypress, and serverless platforms like Kubernetes, Cloud Run, or Lambda.
- Collaborate and align efforts with UX/UI Designers, Product Managers, Backend engineers while engaging with customers.
- Develop cloud-native applications using Kubernetes, or by directly consuming cloud services provided by Google Cloud Platform and AWS
- Utilize independent applications and feature toggles to deploy the applications of your team multiple times a day.
- On top of working with a modern tech stack on interesting projects, commercetools offers a professional development budget and dedicated time to experiment with new technologies and ideas (known as Tech Time).
- We also encourage our engineers to attend and speak at conferences, providing assistance and support to get started on this matter.
What you need to succeed:
- 3+ years of development experience in Node.js
- Understanding of asynchronous/non-blocking programming
- Practical experience in designing and using RESTful APIs (ideally in an eCommerce environment), and ideally GraphQL
- Familiarity with object-oriented, stateless, serverless, and message-driven design and architecture patterns
- Familiarity with infrastructure-as-code, and tools like Terraform
- The ability to weigh trade-offs through discussions working within a cross-functional team
- Be able to speak English fluently to work in an international environment
- Strive for clean code and high standards for quality assurance such as code review, testing and code linting
- See value in maintainable software through various methods such as type checking paired with End-to-End and integration tests
- Be an open-minded team player working in a humble cross-functional team while caring for our product and customers
- User-centric thinking
- A mindset to continuously learn and actively improve our work environment and product
- Positivity. Negativity is the enemy of progress.
- Trust & Transparency. Promote direct and continuous feedback.
- Learning. Be proud if you’ve failed at something. Think big, start small, learn fast!
Tech at commercetools:
We Are Open Source And Innovative By Design
🚀 We make rapid progress by being early adopters of React, Scala, and GraphQL
⚙️ We <3 Automation and Machine Learning
We care about your Growth and Well-being
☀️ Remote Work: Up to 60 days/year from a country different from your base country
💻 Open Learning & Development Budget
📚 ct Academy: Regular internal training sessions
🙌 Our Benefits: Fruit baskets and kicker tables were yesterday - check out our benefits here
⌚️ Flexibility: Morning person or night owl? We believe in outcome and motivated employees
🚀 Mindset & Growth: A diverse, creative workspace with an international culture & learning environment
What can you expect?
As a member of our U.S. team of commercetoolers, we are proud to offer the following:
- 100% coverage of medical, dental, and vision insurance for employees and significant coverage towards dependents
- Generous time off package including PTO, parental leave, company holidays, sick time, and volunteer time off
- Compensation benefits including 401K company match and an annual professional development stipend
- Opportunity to make an impact within commercetools and our community by joining our DE&I Committee, Engage the Change, or our Culture Committee
- Involvement in challenging and meaningful projects in a company with over 10 years of history
- Opportunity to work with a major technology leader and disruptor in the growing e-commerce space
- Great team of smart, hardworking, and fun team members who work with a mutual respect and appreciation, take responsibility, and evolve together
- Flexible, family-friendly working hours
- Working atmosphere where creativity and new ideas are encouraged
For Durham-based Roles
- Enjoy a flexible, hybrid working environment
- Newly updated modern office at the American Tobacco Campus in the heart of Downtown Durham
- Do you have a dog? We're a dog friendly office
- Kombucha on tap, coffee, tea, snacks, and catered lunches
- Semi-monthly team events
- Need a break? We have foosball, darts, ping pong, and a golf putting simulator
- Combination of individual work spaces and cozy meeting rooms
We believe that our diversity makes us a stronger team. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it’s the right thing to do, but because it makes our company better.
At commercetools, we are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
We hope to be a place where a diverse mix of talented people choose to do their best work. We pride ourselves on bringing modern principles to ecommerce through both technology and company culture. We know success comes from the hard work and dedication of our passionate and creative employees.
Are you ready? Come grow with us!