At CommerceIQ, we help consumer brands accelerate their retail ecommerce market share growth and profitability through machine learning algorithms. We are building the world’s most complete and sophisticated Retail Ecommerce Management Platform, which connects and intelligently automates the management of retail ecommerce channels like Amazon, Walmart, and Instacart, across the entire ecommerce operational chain of retail media management, sales operations, supply chain, and digital self analytics.
We are in hyper growth mode, having recently raised our Series D funding at unicorn valuation (>$1B) and ended our third year of triple-digit revenue growth. Continued acceleration of our growth is fueled by landing new customers, expanding our platform through new products, managing new retail ecommerce platforms, and delivering exceptional customer service to unlock high net retention rates.
Location: CommerceIQ operates on a remote-first basis. For this role, we have a strong preference for candidates located in the Bay Area but are also considering candidates based in Seattle, San Diego, New York, and Boston metro areas.
We’re actively seeking a Head/Vice President of Legal to build our legal team and function from the ground up. In addition to providing counsel around product, data privacy, and employment, your focus initially will center around building programs and processes to support all sales and vendor contracting activities.
What You'll Do:
- Provide excellent legal advice and counsel to a broad assortment of business teams, colleagues, and leaders on a variety of topics.
- Support all legal aspects of our sales contracting process and work closely with our sales operations team.
- Draft, review and negotiate all types of contracts needed for the business, from SaaS services agreements and complex commercial contracts to vendor contracts and NDAs.
- Work primarily with the Sales and Partner teams, negotiating a wide variety of SaaS agreements ranging from standard vendor agreements to complex, high-dollar value, enterprise MSAs.
- Be the strong voice of legal reason, practical business advice and judgment to our leadership team on all matters relating to risk, execution and growth.
- Identify issues and risks related to areas such as IP ownership, data protection, privacy laws, indemnification, limitation of liability and regulations and emerging trends in contracts.
- Develop contract governance best practices including playbooks, alternate contract provisions, templates and training material.
- Build the legal function over time, making key hires to bring legal operations in-house.
- Bring structure, uniformity, and efficiency to the legal department’s work.
- Collaborate with internal and external stakeholders.
- Work independently with minimal guidance from other counsel.
- Work efficiently with external counsel when needed.
- Assist with various ad-hoc legal requests and special projects.
- Report to the CFO and partner with key members of the executive leadership team.
What You'll Bring:
- Minimum 10+ years of combined legal experience including in-house and at a law firm.
- Experience building an in-house legal function and team.
- Past experience in a legal leadership capacity in a software (preferable SaaS-based) cloud, application, or platform software company.
- Experienced with M&A transactions.
- Expertise in drafting and negotiating SaaS agreements and other complex commercial contracts.
- Experience working on cross-functional teams to drive projects to completion.
- A proven track record of risk identification, assessment and mitigation to provide solutions for the business teams.
- Knowledge and experience with IP rights, including copyrights, patent, trademarks, GDPR and privacy regulations a plus.
- A business-oriented mindset with strong problem-solving and project management skills.
- Experience working in a demanding, fast-paced, high volume transaction environment and prioritizing appropriately.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Benefits & Perks:
- Highly competitive pay, benefits, and early stage stock options
- Unlimited PTO
- Work from home benefits including flex WFH hours and home office set-up reimbursement
- Monthly cell phone, internet, and gym/fitness reimbursement
- Comprehensive health, dental, vision, and life insurance benefits
- 401K plan, FSA, and HSA programs
- Long-term and short-term disability
Help us build the future of ecommerce. Apply now or learn more at https://commerceiq.ai!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status or any other category prohibited by applicable law.