Comfy is on a mission to create amazing workplace experiences. We are a leading workplace app provider that connects people, places and systems. We started by solving the number one complaint in the office (temperature!), and continue to expand to our product suite to give employees greater control over their workplace, including room booking, lighting and feedback. We create amazing workplace experiences through a consumer-facing app for employees and solve real business problems for corporate real estate teams. Headquartered in Oakland, California, with expertise in machine learning, UX design and enterprise service, Comfy develops software solutions for everyone — from the people who operate the building to the people who fill it.
About the Role
Comfy is looking for a Senior Backend Engineer to help build the next generation of our Comfy app. Having successfully deployed the first generation of our app--which provided end users with an intuitive way to control the temperature within their building, learning their preferences in the process--we are now well into the next generation, which extends into a range of IT, OT, and IoT use cases (including room booking, access control, wayfinding, and visitor management); and are exploring ways to leverage machine learning across our product. Simultaneously, we are aggressively growing our user base, with some of the largest-ever Comfy deployments currently in flight.
As the complexity and scale of our app grows, we need an experienced engineer to rethink and retool our backend services. We're at the cutting-edge intersection of IoT and mobile apps, which means a lot of never-before-solved challenges around statefulness; cross-system synchronization; and redundancy. This role will effectively be in the capacity of a technical lead, working closely alongside our front-end and platforms teams; you'll be part of the brain-trust that our engineering and product leadership will rely on to advise us on what's possible, what's sensible, and what's simple. In order to do that, you'll need to have technical depth; systems thinking; and communication skills to evaluate trade-offs around performance, cost, reliability, and scale. This is the ideal role for someone who's ready to move their career to the next level in terms of technical influence and scope of impact.
- First and foremost, you love writing software. Your code is comprehensible, well-structured, highly performant; your best days at work are in front of the computer cranking out code on your own, although you have the experience to know that a winning product requires an entire team.
- You love both learning and teaching. In this role, you will be interfacing with design, front-end, back-end, platforms, analytics, as well as our PM and QA teams; towards that end, you enjoy pair-programming and working across teams to solve hard problems.
- Agile development is second-nature. Not only will you be expected to participate in daily scrums, sprint planning, and retros; you'll be expected to help improve our ceremonies.
- You strive for quality, and are obsessed with unit tests, automation, and squashing any bugs that sneak through. But it's more than that: you'll use our product, realize "hey! that's not what I expected!" and figure out how to make it better for everyone.
Your Skills and Experience
- 5+ years of industry experience developing large-scale applications
- In depth knowledge of Python, or similar backend language
- Experience with Django, or similar server framework
- Expertise in service-oriented architectures; ideally, you've developed APIs for both internal and external-facing services
- You're obsessed with performance, and have experience with instrumentation and monitoring services to ensure the application is behaving as expected
- You have a basic knowledge of computer science fundamentals, including data structures, algorithms, and object-oriented design
Bonus Points For:
- Experience with Cordova, Android, iOS development
- Experience working with third-party / IoT integrations
- Any experience working with platforms for Big Data or Machine Learning solutions
Technologies We Use:
- Market-leading software application centered on improving the workplace experience, Comfy : )
- Brand new, bright, airy office in sunny downtown Oakland steps away from BART
- Take-what-you-need vacation policy
- Competitive salaries
- Generous medical, dental and vision insurance
- Monthly wellness subsidy
- Matching 401k policy
- Frequent team events (costumes optional) and lots of snacks
- Independent start-up culture with the backing of a global corporate powerhouse
We believe your work is an extension of yourself. At Comfy, we hire many sorts of selves and that’s what makes us exceptional. We value diversity of thought, always asking tough questions, committing to solutions—and we do that best when we have and nurture every point of view. We value you, and we want to hear you, learn from you, and move forward together.