Since 2012, Comfy has been striving to enhance amazing workplaces, not just for those experiencing them, but for those who design them as well. We started with temperature and have since expanded to room and desk booking with space efficiency analytics - and we are only getting started. Since the beginning Comfy has taken a refreshingly human-centered approach to the experience of the workplace and IoT integrations, and the design of great products continues to play a central role in our business objectives. Since our acquisition by Siemens, we truly have the best of both worlds. We are able to grow, change and adapt rapidly like a startup. Never the type to shy away from a challenge, we are on a mission to empower employees to thrive in their modern workplace by seamlessly connecting them to the people, places, and things they need to do their best work.
About the Role
We are looking for an experienced leader to help us invent great experiences for our app that is radically improving the future of work in offices around the world. In this impactful role, you will report into and work closely with our VP of Product Management. As the Senior Director of UX and Design you must have experience researching and designing user experiences for B2B2C and/or B2C mobile applications. We’re looking for a leader who’s passionate about building designs that consumers will love. The role will require frequently collaborating with designers, product managers, and engineers, but most importantly with the people who use our applications.
You will be responsible for managing our Oakland based team of designers and overseeing the delivery of high quality work in a fast-paced environment. Using your expertise in UX and UI, you will contribute to product strategy by taking user/business requirements and translating them into product design.
Specifically you will:
- Create compelling product visions and strategies in partnership with product and engineering leadership by integrating business requirements into design strategy and processes.
- Create world class and sticky end user experiences that people love in thousands of buildings around the world.
- Lead, create and validate user journeys that define value-added workflows in our applications
- Grow the design and research teams. Hire, organize, and mentor.
- Take responsibility for building and evangelizing Comfy’s design system enabling an ecosystem of developers to customize their applications using Comfy’s branding and design guidelines.
- Lead PMs and designers through qualitative research surveys, interviews, and focus groups with end users and key stakeholders to gather needfinding, validate roadmap, test design prototypes to ensure usability and value to our users.
- You will drive continuous improvement of the Comfy solution informed by engagement data and user feedback.
- Participate in hands-on work and reviews, survey our users, and participate in buyer focus groups, guiding conceptual designs through product launch and optimizing post-launch for positive end-user feedback & adoption
- You and your team will own the end-to-end experience of Comfy’s workplace web and mobile app, as well as Comfy’s data analytics and BI solution Insights, and configuration console that empowers customers to get the most from our solution.
- Keep up with common patterns and design trends. Constructively suggest modifications to what exists in our app today and apply that same thinking in the face of audacious challenges for a category-defining product.
- Compellingly articulate your design decisions with your team as well as company leadership.
- 10-15 years of UX design experience
- Experience as a hands-on manager of a design team.
- You bring experienced leadership and passion to user research and how it can inform decision-making across the entire product.
- You are a design leader who people want to follow with the ability to build trust, inspire, and mentor the careers of a growing team.
- You are a player-coach who leads by doing, and your team values your strategic design thinking as well as the example you deliver when you roll up your sleeves and join in the craft.
- Great communicator (verbal, written, and visual) who has the ability to influence and build consensus both within a design team and with executive stakeholders across the company.
- You have a lot of design confidence and use your design thinking expertise to solve complex problems with elegantly simple solutions to deliver experiences people love.
- You have proven experience with a consumer or user-focused enterprise app team shipping product — seeing a design from briefs and concepts through to well-crafted, beautiful production software.
- You are hungry to get things done and see results, and your passion for design is an inspiration to those around you.
- You have a strong systems thinking ability that enables you to guide a team to understand complex problems with elegantly intuitive solutions.
- You thrive in a highly collaborative environment of rapid iteration where we share our ideas, designs, inspiration, and constructive feedback.
- You are highly skilled and knowledgeable in: mobile and web design, B2B2C products (or combination of B2B and B2C) , Design Thinking and User Journeys.
Bonus Points For:
- A demonstrated track record of managing UX/UI for a high-growth B2C or B2B2C mobile application
- Experience with configuration tools for mobile applications that provide administrative users with functionality and workflows that make it easy to configure, maintain and scale mobile applications
- Market-leading software application centered on improving the workplace experience, Comfy : )
- Brand new, bright, airy office in sunny downtown Oakland steps away from BART
- Take-what-you-need vacation policy
- Competitive salaries
- Generous medical, dental and vision insurance
- Matching 401k policy
- Frequent team events, and lots of snacks
- Independent start-up culture with the backing of a global corporate powerhouse
Our Promise to You
We believe your work is an extension of yourself. At Comfy, we hire many sorts of selves and that’s what makes us exceptional. We value diversity of thought, always asking tough questions, committing to solutions—and we do that best when we have and nurture every point of view. We value you, and we want to hear you, learn from you, and move forward together