Comfy is on a mission to enhance the workplace experience by connecting people, places, and things. Around the world, thousands of people use Comfy to personalize the way they work, creating productive, collaborative and flexible working spaces. With global reach through our parent company Siemens and a powerful ecosystem of technology partners, Comfy also gives businesses the insights they need to make informed decisions about their real estate portfolios. And as the world reconsiders the future of work, here at Comfy you’ll help support companies with a safe return to the workplace, while laying the foundations of long-term digital transformation for a new era of flexible working.
About the Role
Comfy is looking for a Senior Backend Engineer to help us meet the challenge of a rapidly scaling business by growing our backend engineering stack. The Senior Backend Engineer will work on improving our new SDK architecture to help deliver key new features in the platform. You will also make an impact by improving the overall developer experience and helping to turbo charge our development effort.
We are now well into the next generation of our app, which extends into a range of IT, OT, and IoT use cases (including room booking, access control, wayfinding, and visitor management); and are exploring ways to leverage machine learning across our product. Simultaneously, we are aggressively growing our user base, with some of the largest-ever Comfy deployments currently in flight.
As the complexity and scale of our app grows, we need an experienced engineer that will effectively be in the capacity of a technical lead, working closely alongside our front-end and platforms teams; you'll be part of the brain-trust that our engineering and product leadership will rely on to advise us on what's possible, what's sensible, and what's simple. In order to do that, you'll need to have technical depth; systems thinking; and communication skills to evaluate trade-offs around performance, cost, reliability, and scale. This is the ideal role for someone who's ready to move their career to the next level in terms of technical influence and scope of impact.
Specifically you will:
Enable the SDK team to deliver critical new features for the Comfy platform, such as our ongoing cards infrastructure
Help improve our new developer onboarding experience
Help improve the productivity of the wider team
Act as a bridge between our Chennai based developers and the wider core development team
Contribute to the timely delivery of the SRE project
Your Skills and Experience:
- You have at least 3 years of Python experience.
- You are eager to write code in order to build cool new features and have at least 5 years of wider development experience.
- You are comfortable working in a `nix development environment, Mac preferred.
- You are a self starter who takes projects from start to finish and is excited to take a hands on role throughout the process from inception to delivery.
You have a demonstrated ability to be a tech leader that can offer innovative new ideas and designs for the software platform we are building.
You have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Bonus Points For:
- Experience leading small teams or have been the lead developer on previous projects
Experience writing Go
Experience working on other parts of the software stack (infrastructure or front end)
Technologies We Use
- Market-leading software application centered on improving the workplace experience, Comfy : )
- Brand new, bright, airy office in sunny downtown Oakland steps away from BART
- Take-what-you-need vacation policy
- Competitive salaries
- Generous medical, dental and vision insurance
- Matching 401k policy
- Frequent team events (costumes optional) and lots of snacks
- Independent start-up culture with the backing of a global corporate powerhouse
Our Promise to You
We believe your work is an extension of yourself. At Comfy, we hire many sorts of selves and that’s what makes us exceptional. We value diversity of thought, always asking tough questions, committing to solutions—and we do that best when we have and nurture every point of view. We value you, and we want to hear you, learn from you, and move forward together.