(This is a remote position with preference given to candidates residing in the continental United States.)
Who we are
Our mission is to become the trusted source of lifelong guidance for the next generation, helping millions of families find paths toward better life outcomes starting with college admissions. Our team has made it possible for students and families to run their entire college process for free in one place, sharpen their intuitions with ML-aided simulations or peer advice, interact with and be recruited by admissions officers from over 1,500 schools in the US, learn from the best experts via free livestreams, or even purchase professional services to aid in their journey. CollegeVine helped over 20 million families in 2021.
About the role
We’re looking for a Data Engineer to join our small data team and help scale our data platform.
What you'll do
- Build and maintain a data platform that powers product features, product analytics, business analytics, sales, and external insights reports
- Design and build an analytics warehouse to power our BI, ML, and more
- Help launch solutions for metadata tracking (data sources, release calendars, etc.) and data versioning
- Consult on data collection work
- Implement a solution to ingest data from various sources in a repeatable, quality-controlled way
Who we're looking for
- A fast learner with natural curiosity: You have the ability to pick up new skills on the fly
- A resourceful problem-solver: You excel at identifying simple solutions to tough problems
- An optimist: You bring positive energy that other people draw upon
- A teammate with a point of view: You jump right in, get familiar with problems, and share your opinions
Skills you bring
- Experience with a commonly used language for data engineering, e.g. Python, Scala, etc.
- Knowledge of SQL (including query planning and optimizing, DDL, DML, etc.)
- Comfort with a workflow orchestration tool such as Airflow, Data Pipeline, Luigi, or Argo
- Experience with AWS tooling
- Comfort building ETL and ELT pipelines, data warehousing, and data storage
It's an added bonus if you are ...
- Interested in doing data engineering work to support Machine Learning (e.g. anomaly detection)
- Familiar with tools like Kafka and Spark for streaming and large-scale processing
- Curious about MLOps
- Curious about interfacing with an engineering team that uses statically-typed functional programming/Haskell
How to apply
Please submit your resume and a cover letter via the below form. Your cover letter should be short and explain your interest as well as any other qualifications not already reflected in your resume.
Hiring manager: Alyssa Siegmann, Head of Data Insights
Why you'll love working at CollegeVine
- Enjoy truly meaningful work: Spend your days working on something that's high impact and helps millions of students each year find amazing college matches.
- Iterate quickly and see the impact of your hard work: As part of small but growing organization that values speed and learning, you'll quickly be able to see how your work impacts the business and the families we serve.
- Work with a supportive team that appreciates you: You'll find that the teammates who you work with are appreciative and celebrate your ideas and innovations.
- Contribute to a mindful remote culture with real flexibility: We are proud of our remote culture and can't wait to talk to you about it. If you find a team you love that works on a mission you find meaningful, then why let caring for a loved one, moving cross-country, venturing abroad, or even living on a boat stop you?