We are seeking an experienced, high energy, innovative Catering and Events Manager to be based at our Governors Island Retreat in NY. This role is expected to own the entire life cycle of special events and groups, from coordinating with clients and vendors to managing all aspects throughout the day of the event. This will include but is not limited to meeting and coordinating regularly with clients, liaising with vendors, overseeing catering personnel, and managing all event operations.
The ideal candidate is experienced in hospitality and all aspects of catering and events, including: organizing events with attention to financial and time constraints, training and management of wait staff, extensive experience in client and vendor relations, and planning food and beverage menus. This person is also highly organized and dependable, approachable, self-motivated, and passionate about travel and what we’re building.
Transforming Hospitality by Connecting People and Place
Our mission is to revolutionize global travel through a collection of dynamic destination Retreats, authentic luxury service, and enriching experiences that connect person, community, and environment. With elevated culinary experiences, elegant design and nimble, luxury accommodations in unexpected places, where traditional hotels simply cannot exist, Collective Retreats is a leader in the rapidly evolving outdoor hospitality space.
Since 2014, Collective Retreats, has operated some of the most talked about lodging experiences in the United States garnering over 20 billion media impressions in less than 3 years. With locations on Governors Island- Just 7 minutes off the tip of Manhattan staring at the Statue of Liberty, Hill Country Texas, Vail Colorado, and Yellowstone Montana, the Collective experience connects its guests to nature in an exciting new way.
A proven draw for travelers seeking experiences, spectacular receptions, corporate gatherings, and unforgettable vacations, Collective is poised to grow our reputation in a significant way, opening more retreats in 2020. One of the keys to our success and growth is the development of a strong local sales and field marketing effort at each of our retreats.
Our Collective Good: We are inextricably tied to each other and this place we call home. Together we strive to have our guests leave our retreats feeling truly connected to and responsible for the destination they visited.
The Catering and Events Manager position will assist in closing group and catering business and oversee the entire event life cycle once the sale has been closed. This position will be responsible for all client relations, vendor coordination, and management day of the event. The Catering and Events Manager will be reporting to our SVP of Hospitality.
- Gain an in-depth comprehension for the requirements and details of each event
- Understand clients' needs and wants
- Work with sales team in helping to confirm details and provide information during the sales process.
- Plan and organize events with attention to financial and time constraints
- Meet with clients and coordinate all details of event with them regularly
- Work hand in hand with CGI catering and F&B team to create Banquet Event Orders and pricing.
- Develop group and event experiences and activities working with retreat operations team.
- Look for and compare different vendors (decorators, musicians etc.)
- Negotiate with vendors to achieve the most favorable terms
- Train and oversee event and catering personnel to ensure consistent on brand delivery of events and experiences.
- Manage all event operations (preparing venue, F&B, logistics etc.)
- Track overall event expenses regularly.
- Prepare event budgets and manage events to stay within budget
- Offer solutions to resolve problems pre and during event in a timely manner
- Evaluate event’s success and make continuous improvements
- Provide above services for select events at other retreats
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- 2-5 years of experience as an Event Manager or similar role
- Excellent vendor management and negotiation skills
- Sense of ownership and pride performance and its impact on customers and company’s success
- Critical thinker and problem-solving skills
- Attention to detail is absolutely crritical
- Adaptability a must
- An innate sense of leadership and managing
- Impeccable interpersonal and communication skills (internal, external)
- Degree in hospitality management, public relations or relevant field is preferred
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an associate encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the associate is frequently exposed to weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment will vary. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Requirements for Employment:
- Fluent in English. Conversant in Spanish a plus.
- Authorized to work in the U.S.
- Prior experience in event management and/or catering is required.
Compensation & Perks:
- We offer a competitive compensation package, including the unique opportunity for revenue generation incentives and the ability to earn options in the business over time
- Healthcare, including medical, dental and vision
- Friends and Family rates at all Collective Retreat locations and employee free and discounted nights