At Collective Health, we're modernizing employer-sponsored health insurance and building the first healthcare solution that people actually look forward to interacting with. We believe that with a modern software stack, a small, dedicated team can replace entrenched 5000-person incumbents.
We're looking for an engineering manager to lead our Plans and Partners team whose mission is to support creating and running flexible insurance plans. The team will be responsible for developing our onboarding platform that allows us to launch new clients and plans with minimal human effort. The platform’s APIs power our claims engine, member portal, and other frontend and backend systems, and its flexibility allows us to support a wide range of insurance plan designs, enabling us to increase our addressable market.
As an engineering team, we believe good code is easy to read and understand. Our company as a whole places a high priority on the overall member experience, including customer support (you shouldn't have to wait on hold ever), legal language (you shouldn't have to be a lawyer to read your health plan), and intuitive product design. We care deeply about diversity and inclusion and have worked to build a diverse team where everyone feels respected and supported.
What you’ll do:
- Lead a cross-functional team of 3-5 frontend and backend engineers working on developing our plan data platform
- Work closely with our Operations team and product managers to ensure we're building the right products for our users
- Recruit and hire great engineers
- Help engineers on the team develop new skills and advance in their careers
- Take on initiatives to help improve our engineering processes as we grow
- Code review and lead architectural design processes
- We expect this role will begin at 25-50% hands-on software development, with less coding as the team grows.
What we’re looking for:
- 5+ years building and architecting backend systems
- 1+ years of engineering management experience with a track record of leading productive engineering teams
- You work with a sense of empathy for others, both end users and coworkers
- You have data modeling expertise, especially in modeling complex domains
- You have good hands on coding, design, and architecture skills
- You care deeply about supporting the engineers on your team and helping them grow in their careers
- You have experience hiring and recruiting engineers
- You’re a clear and persuasive communicator in writing and in person
- Experience working with our toolset is a plus -- Java, Postgres, Node.js, Angular.js
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.