Collage.com’s mission is to make custom products easy for everyone, by creating fantastic software and providing excellent customer service. Collage.com is a 100% employee-owned, profitable, bootstrapped company with about 50 employees that has rapidly grown from $4 to $38 million in annual revenue since 2013. We sell an expanding variety of photo and home products, including photo blankets, photo books, canvases, pillows, and more. Collage.com has appeared more than a dozen times on ABC’s “Good Morning America” and three times on “The View.” We’ve also appeared multiple times on the “TODAY Show,” along with mentions in BuzzFeed, Mashable, AARP: The Magazine, the Associated Press, and more. We are seeking ambitious, nice individuals to join us in our quest to bring great custom products to the world. Learn more about working at Collage.com.
We’re 100% remote
Collage.com is a 100% remote company, with employees working together in states across the country. Last year, our remote work culture was profiled in a case study by the Harvard Business School (we are the first all-remote company they profiled). The entire company meets together in person twice a year (all expenses paid) to get to know each other and work on strategy. Learn more in an op-ed our co-founder Kevin Borders wrote for MLive.com.
We are seeking an ambitious and nice engineering leader who is passionate about creating an ideal environment for humans to build software. We believe that supporting engineers by investing in the best management, systems, and processes is critical to attracting top talent and building a great product. We are looking for people who share this vision, excel at empathizing with their teammates, and have strong problem-solving skills. As our VP of engineering, you will be responsible for the holistic well-being and productivity of Collage.com’s current engineers, as well as attracting top talent to enable us to double our team of 15 over the next year while maintaining a high bar for hiring and management. This role will report to and work closely with Kevin Borders, technical Co-CEO, who manages the team now but plans to shift focus to systems and technology strategy.
- Manage the engineering organization at Collage.com with a focus on people and processes, overseeing multiple teams that have engineering managers.
- Work closely with product managers to build a great product using lean principles.
- Work with head of talent to rapidly scale the engineering team.
- Lead company-wide prioritization of improvements to code quality, systems, and engineering processes.
- Inspire others to continuously improve and raise their standards at all levels of the company.
- 7+ year management experience with at least 2+ years managing other managers and 5+ years managing engineers, including a demonstrated track record of solving complex management problems and motivating people to do their best work.
- 10+ years of professional software engineering experience, including experience building a large-scale web application using modern lean product development techniques.
- High degree of empathy and excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent at clear and concise written and verbal communication.
- Solid understanding of software engineering and code architecture fundamentals, with ability to review full-stack web application code using modern frameworks and quickly learn unfamiliar technologies.
- Previous experience rapidly scaling an engineering team at a start-up is a plus.
Benefits and Perks
- Working from home makes it easier to focus on results and develop professionally while spending less time commuting. (See our opinion piece on perks and work-life balance at mlive.com.)
- 401(k) plan, home internet reimbursement, and $3,000 / year in free Collage.com products plus employee discount for friends and family.
- Collage.com pays 100% of the premium for full health, vision and dental insurance coverage for you and your family in a high-quality Blue Cross Blue Shield PPO plan.
- Flexible work schedule and unlimited vacation policy (work hard and take time when you need it).
- We’ll pay for computer and home office equipment (within reason) that will help you work better.