About Collage.com, a Foreground Brand
Foreground is a platform of products that connects families and individuals with world-class photographers. The Foreground family of brands helps photographers and photo consumers create memories that last a lifetime by giving them access to tremendous software, professional services, supportive education and high quality photo products and custom gifts.
As a Foreground brand, Collage makes the creation of custom products easy for everyone, by providing superior software and excellent customer service. We sell an expanding variety of photo and home products, including photo blankets, photo books, canvases, pillows, and more.
We are 100% Remote
As a 100% remote company, we are set up to provide the best possible environment for engineering. The less time developers spend dealing with cumbersome processes, inefficient systems, and commuting, the more time they have to solve problems and make an impact. We pass almost all of The Joel Test (fix only high-priority bugs before writing new code), use continuous deployment (code goes straight to production after each merge), and are in the process of adopting mobx-state-tree with React. Strong engineering is a key part of our business strategy -- it lets us build best-in-class design tools faster than our larger competitors.
We are seeking an ambitious and nice engineering leader who is passionate about creating an ideal environment for humans to build software. We believe that supporting engineers by investing in the best management, systems, and processes is critical to attracting top talent and building a great product. We are looking for people who share this vision, excel at empathizing with their teammates, and have strong problem-solving skills. As an engineering manager, you will be responsible for the holistic well-being and productivity of engineers, as well as building and improving processes, setting technical priorities, and doing some hands-on technical work.
- Manage a team of several mid- to senior-level full-stack software engineers, structuring their roles and providing guidance to ensure their success and continued personal growth.
- Work closely with product managers to build a great product using lean principles.
- Collaborate with team members to prioritize improvements to code quality and systems.
- Work with direct reports, peers, and upper management to drive continuous improvement and higher standards at all levels of the company.
- Perform some individual contributor work to stay in touch with the challenges facing others on the team.
- Participate in hiring and interviewing engineers.
- Experience leading software engineers, including a demonstrated track record of solving complex management problems and motivating people to do their best work.
- 5+ years of professional software engineering experience, including experience building a large-scale web application using modern lean product development techniques.
- High degree of empathy and excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent at clear and concise written and verbal communication.
The Interview Process
The goal of our interview process is to identify people who will be a good fit for our company and are talented, motivated engineers. Because you will be working remotely, all of our interviews are done remotely.
During the interview process, you will:
- Speak to a member of our talent acquisition team which will be mostly an experience and values/culture fit assessment
- Speak with one or more senior members of our engineering team
- Complete a more complex technical assessment that is intended to emulate your actual work environment
- Speak with our VP of engineering and other executives
- Highly competitive compensation package
- Benefits include comprehensive medical, dental, and vision insurance, and 401K with 4% company match
- A culture that promotes a healthy work-life balance including a flexible PTO plan
- This position is 100% remote